Competitive behavior of national brands: The case of orange juice
The purpose of this study is to examine orange juice demand, focusing on the main forms: frozen and chilled, and considering the role of brands, private label, and product variety. We have data for 54 regions in the U.S. for 1989 and 1990. This is advantageous. A December 1989 freeze resulted in major increases in prices of all forms of orange juice in 1990. Results suggest that the three national brands were using some pricing strategies, but we find no indication that it has been to the detriment of smaller competitors. Indeed, private label and regional brands improved their market positions during the period. [Econlit Classifications: D130, D400]. © 2001 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 17 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Green, Richard & Hahn, William & Rocke, David, 1987. "Standard Errors for Elasticities: A Comparison of Bootstrap and Asymptotic Standard Errors," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 5(1), pages 145-49, January.
- Nelson, Philip, 1974. "Advertising as Information," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(4), pages 729-54, July/Aug..
- Jagmohan S. Raju & Raj Sethuraman & Sanjay K. Dhar, 1995. "The Introduction and Performance of Store Brands," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(6), pages 957-978, June.
- Frank Asche & Cathy R. Wessells, 1997. "On Price Indices in the Almost Ideal Demand System," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(4), pages 1182-1185.
- Ronald W. Cotterill, 1998.
"Jawboning Cereal: The Campaign to Lower Cereal Prices,"
17, University of Connecticut, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Charles J. Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy.
- Ronald W. Cotterill, 1999. "Jawboning cereal: The campaign to lower cereal prices," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(2), pages 197-205.
- Jerry A. Hausman, 1994.
"Valuation of New Goods under Perfect and Imperfect Competition,"
NBER Working Papers
4970, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jerry A. Hausman, 1996. "Valuation of New Goods under Perfect and Imperfect Competition," NBER Chapters, in: The Economics of New Goods, pages 207-248 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hausman, J.A., 1994. "Valuation of New Goods Under Perfect and Imperfect Competition," Working papers 94-21, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Deaton,Angus & Muellbauer,John, 1980. "Economics and Consumer Behavior," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521296762, june. pag.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:agribz:v:17:y:2001:i:1:p:139-160. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.