Money Supply, Inflation and Economic Growth: Co-Integration and Causality Analysis
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Robert E. Lucas, 2001.
"Inflation and Welfare,"
International Economic Association Series, in: Axel Leijonhufvud (ed.), Monetary Theory as a Basis for Monetary Policy, chapter 4, pages 96-142,
- Robert E. Lucas, Jr., 2000. "Inflation and Welfare," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(2), pages 247-274, March.
- Laurence Ball & David Romer, 1990.
"Real Rigidities and the Non-Neutrality of Money,"
Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 57(2), pages 183-203.
- Laurence Ball & David Romer, 1987. "Real Rigidities and the Non-Neutrality of Money," NBER Working Papers 2476, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maki, Daiki, 2012. "Tests for cointegration allowing for an unknown number of breaks," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 2011-2015.
- Muhammad Hussain, 1991. "Money, Income, and Causality: Some Evidence from Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 30(4), pages 907-918.
- Joakim Westerlund & David L. Edgerton, 2007.
"New Improved Tests for Cointegration with Structural Breaks,"
Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(2), pages 188-224, March.
- Westerlund, Joakim & Edgerton , David, 2006. "New Improved Tests for Cointegration with Structural Breaks," Working Papers 2006:3, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Granger, Clive W.J. & YOON, GAWON, 2002.
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt9qn5f61j, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Granger, Clive W.J. & Gawon Yoon, 2002. "Hidden Cointegration," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 92, Royal Economic Society.
- Nguyen, Van Bon, 2015. "Effects of fi scal defi cit and money M2 supply on inflation: Evidence from selected economies of Asia," Journal of Economics, Finance and Administrative Science, Universidad ESAN, vol. 20(38), pages 49-53.
- Obaid, Shahid & Baig, Mirza Aqeel & Shah, Muzafar Ali, 2020. "Determining inflation as monetary or fiscal phenomenon: An empirical evidence from South Asia," BizEcons Quarterly, Strides Educational Foundation, vol. 6, pages 22-48.
- Barro, Robert J., 1977. "Long-term contracting, sticky prices, and monetary policy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 305-316, July.
- Hatemi-J, Abdulnasser & Irandoust, Manuchehr, 2011. "The dynamic interaction between volatility and returns in the US stock market using leveraged bootstrap simulations," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 329-334, September.
- James Peery Cover, 1992. "Asymmetric Effects of Positive and Negative Money-Supply Shocks," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 107(4), pages 1261-1282.
- Abdullah AL-Mutairi & Sulaiman Al-Abduljader & Kamal Naser, 2020. "Determinants of Inflation in Kuwait," Journal of Developing Areas, Tennessee State University, College of Business, vol. 54(3), pages 19-34, July-Sept.
- Davidson, Paul & Weintraub, Sidney, 1973. "Money as Cause and Effect," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 83(332), pages 1117-1132, December.
- Abdulnasser Hatemi-J, 2012. "Asymmetric causality tests with an application," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 447-456, August.
- Abdulnasser Hatemi-J, 2008. "Tests for cointegration with two unknown regime shifts with an application to financial market integration," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 497-505, November.
- Barro, Robert J, 1978.
"Unanticipated Money, Output, and the Price Level in the United States,"
Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(4), pages 549-580, August.
- Barro, Robert J., 1978. "Unanticipated Money, Output, and the Price Level in the United States," Scholarly Articles 3450988, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015.
"Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing,"
Applied Econometrics, Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration (RANEPA), vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-276, March.
- Gary G. Moser, 1995. "The Main Determinants of Inflation in Nigeria," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 42(2), pages 270-289, June.
- David A. Bessler, 1984. "Relative Prices and Money: A Vector Autoregression on Brazilian Data," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 66(1), pages 25-30.
- Dingela, Siyasanga & Khobai, Hlalefang, 2017. "Dynamic Impact of Money Supply on Economic Growth in South Africa. An ARDL Approach," MPRA Paper 82539, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Henri Ngoa Tabi & Henri Atangana Ondoa, 2011. "Inflation, Money and Economic Growth in Cameroon," International Journal of Financial Research, International Journal of Financial Research, Sciedu Press, vol. 2(1), pages 45-56, March.
- Frydman, Roman & Rappoport, Peter, 1987. "Is the Distinction between Anticipated and Unanticipated Money Growth Relevant in Explaining Aggregate Output?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(4), pages 693-703, September.
- Mishkin, Frederic S, 1982.
"Monetary Policy and Short-Term Interest Rates: An Efficient Markets-Rational Expectations Approach,"
Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 37(1), pages 63-72, March.
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 1981. "Monetary Policy and Short-Term Interest Rates: An Efficient Markets-Rational Expectations Approach," NBER Working Papers 0693, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- M. O. Odedokun, 1997. "Dynamics of inflation in Sub-Saharan Africa: the role of foreign inflation, official and parallel market exchange rates, and monetary growth," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(4), pages 395-402.
- Kormendi, Roger C & Meguire, Philip G, 1984. "Cross-Regime Evidence of Macroeconomic Rationality," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(5), pages 875-908, October.
- Diks, Cees & Panchenko, Valentyn, 2006.
"A new statistic and practical guidelines for nonparametric Granger causality testing,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 30(9-10), pages 1647-1669.
- Diks, C.G.H. & Panchenko, V., 2004. "A new statistic and practical guidelines for nonparametric Granger causality testing," CeNDEF Working Papers 04-11, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- James Tobin, 1970.
"Money and Income: Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc?,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 84(2), pages 301-317.
- James Tobin, 1969. "Money and Income: Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc?," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 283, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Paun, Cristian & Topan, Vladimir, 2013. "The Monetary Causes of Inflation in Romania," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(1), pages 5-23, March.
- Mussa, Michael, 1982. "A Model of Exchange Rate Dynamics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(1), pages 74-104, February.
- H. Levin, Jay, 1997. "Money Supply Growth and Exchange Rate Dynamics," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 12, pages 344-358.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Hamisu S. Ali & Solomon P. Nathaniel & Gizem Uzuner & Festus V. Bekun & Samuel A. Sarkodie, 2020.
"Trivariate Modelling of the Nexus between Electricity Consumption, Urbanization and Economic Growth in Nigeria: Fresh Insights from Maki Cointegration and Causality Tests,"
Research Africa Network Working Papers
20/010, Research Africa Network (RAN).
- Hamisu S. Ali & Solomon P. Nathaniel & Gizem Uzuner & Festus V. Bekun & Samuel A. Sarkodie, 2020. "Trivariate Modelling of the Nexus between Electricity Consumption, Urbanization and Economic Growth in Nigeria: Fresh Insights from Maki Cointegration and Causality Tests," Working Papers of the African Governance and Development Institute. 20/010, African Governance and Development Institute..
- Hamisu S. Ali & Solomon P. Nathaniel & Gizem Uzuner & Festus V. Bekun & Samuel A. Sarkodie, 2020. "Trivariate Modelling of the Nexus between Electricity Consumption, Urbanization and Economic Growth in Nigeria: Fresh Insights from Maki Cointegration and Causality Tests," Working Papers 20/010, European Xtramile Centre of African Studies (EXCAS).
- Karsten Schweikert, 2020. "Oracle Efficient Estimation of Structural Breaks in Cointegrating Regressions," Papers 2001.07949, arXiv.org, revised Apr 2021.
- Camgöz, Mevlüt & Topal, Mehmet Hanefi, 2022. "Identifying the asymmetric price dynamics of Islamic equities: Implications for international investors," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 60(C).
- Zakir, Nadia & Malik, Wasim Shahid, 2013. "Are the effects of monetary policy on output asymmetric in Pakistan?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 1-9.
- Xiaojuan He & Dervis Kirikkaleli & Melike Torun & Zecheng Li, 2021. "Modeling Economic Risk in the QISMUT Countries: Evidence From Nonlinear Cointegration Tests," SAGE Open, , vol. 11(4), pages 21582440211, October.
- Esra N. Kılcı Author-Name:Burcu Kıran Baygın, 2019. "Analysis of the Relationship between Real Effective Exchange Rate, Common Equity Tier 1 Ratio and Return on Equity: Evidence from Turkey," Alphanumeric Journal, Bahadir Fatih Yildirim, vol. 7(2), pages 319-332, December.
- D. O. Olayungbo & T. A. Ojeyinka, 2022. "Crude oil prices pass-through to retail petroleum product prices in Nigeria: evidence from hidden cointegration approach," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 55(2), pages 951-972, May.
- Olanrewaju, Akanbi Michael & Temitope, Dada James, 2018. "Monetary Policy Shocks and Industrial Output in Nigeria: A Dynamic Effect," African Journal of Economic Review, African Journal of Economic Review, vol. 6(1), January.
- Thanh, Su Dinh & Canh, Nguyen Phuc & Maiti, Moinak, 2020. "Asymmetric effects of unanticipated monetary shocks on stock prices: Emerging market evidence," Economic Analysis and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 65(C), pages 40-55.
- Yarovaya, Larisa & Lau, Marco Chi Keung, 2016. "Stock market comovements around the Global Financial Crisis: Evidence from the UK, BRICS and MIST markets," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 605-619.
- Faisal Faisal & Ruqiya Pervaiz & Nesrin Ozatac & Turgut Tursoy, 2021. "Exploring the relationship between carbon dioxide emissions, urbanisation and financial deepening for Turkey using the symmetric and asymmetric causality approaches," Environment, Development and Sustainability: A Multidisciplinary Approach to the Theory and Practice of Sustainable Development, Springer, vol. 23(12), pages 17374-17402, December.
- Akhand Akhtar Hossain, 2009. "Central Banking and Monetary Policy in the Asia-Pacific," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 12777.
- Koçak Emrah & Uzay Nısfet, 2019. "The effect of financial development on income inequality in Turkey: An estimate of the Greenwood-Jovanovic hypothesis," Review of Economic Perspectives, Sciendo, vol. 19(4), pages 319-344, December.
- Chiappini, Raphaël & Jégourel, Yves & Raymond, Paul, 2019.
"Towards a worldwide integrated market? New evidence on the dynamics of U.S., European and Asian natural gas prices,"
Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(C), pages 545-565.
- Raphael Chiappini & Yves Jegourel & Paul Raymond, 2019. "Towards a worldwide integrated market? New evidence on the dynamics of U.S., European and Asian natural gas prices," Post-Print hal-03281557, HAL.
- Rather, Sartaj Rasool & Durai, S. Raja Sethu & Ramachandran, M., 2015.
"Asymmetric price adjustment – evidence for India,"
The Journal of Economic Asymmetries, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 73-79.
- Sartaj Rasool Rather & S. Raja Sethu Durai & M. Ramachandran, 2014. "Asymmetric Price Adjustment - Evidence For India," Working Papers 2014-094, Madras School of Economics,Chennai,India.
- Sartaj Rather & M. Ramachandran, 2015. "Asymmetric Price Adjustment - Evidence for India," Working Papers id:6479, eSocialSciences.
- Bitros, George C., 2021. "Destabilizing asymmetries in central banking: With some enlightenment from money in classical Athens," The Journal of Economic Asymmetries, Elsevier, vol. 23(C).
- Jérôme Trinh, 2022. "Testing for cointegration with structural changes in very small sample," THEMA Working Papers 2022-01, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Nouira, Ridha & Hadj Amor, Thouraya & Rault, Christophe, 2019.
"Oil price fluctuations and exchange rate dynamics in the MENA region: Evidence from non-causality-in-variance and asymmetric non-causality tests,"
The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 73(C), pages 159-171.
- Ridha Nouira & Thouraya Hadj Amor & Christophe Rault, 2018. "Oil Price Fluctuations and Exchange Rate Dynamics in the MENA Region: Evidence from Non-Causality-in- Variance and Asymmetric Non-Causality Tests," CESifo Working Paper Series 7201, CESifo.
- Abdulnasser, Hatemi-J, 2011. "Hidden panel cointegration," MPRA Paper 31604, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Paul Oslington, 2012. "General Equilibrium: Theory and Evidence," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 88(282), pages 446-448, September.
More about this item
KeywordsMoney supply; Inflation; Co-integration; Hidden causality;
All these keywords.
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- E51 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Money Supply; Credit; Money Multipliers
- F43 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Economic Growth of Open Economies
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:vrs:subboe:v:65:y:2020:i:2:p:29-45:n:3. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://www.sciendo.com .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If CitEc recognized a bibliographic reference but did not link an item in RePEc to it, you can help with this form .
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Peter Golla (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://www.sciendo.com .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.