Diffusion Processes and Event History Analysis
Several authors (e. g., Brüderl, Diekmann, Yamaguchi) derive hazard rate models of event history analysis from social diffusion processes. This paper also focuses on the integration of diffusion research and survival analysis. After a discussion of Diekmann's flexible diffusion model, we present an alternative approach which clarifies theoretical differences between popular rate models (e. g., the exponential model, log-logistic model, sickle model). Specifically, this approach provides a new rationale for the generalised log-logistic model in the sense of a flexible infection process. In cases with bell-shaped duration dependence, it thus allows a test for social contagion as a result of random contacts between actual and potential adopters. An application to divorce data serves as an illustration.
Volume (Year): 2 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.oeaw.ac.at/vid/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christopher A. Pissarides & Barbara Petrongolo, 2001.
"Looking into the Black Box: A Survey of the Matching Function,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 39(2), pages 390-431, June.
- Petrongolo, Barbara & Pissarides, Christopher, 2000. "Looking Into The Black Box: A Survey Of The Matching Function," CEPR Discussion Papers 2409, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Barbara Petrongolo & Christopher Pissarides, 2000. "Looking into the black box: a survey of the matching function," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2122, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Barbara Petrongolo & Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000. "Looking Into the Black Box: A Survey of the Matching Function," CEP Discussion Papers dp0470, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Courgeau, Daniel & Lelievre, Eva, 1993. "Event History Analysis in Demography," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198287384, July.
- Josef Brãœederl & Andreas Diekmann, 1995. "The Log-Logistic Rate Model," Sociological Methods & Research, , vol. 24(2), pages 158-186, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:vid:yearbk:v:2:y:2004:i:1:p:111-132. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Frank Kolesnik)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.