Living Conditions, Rents, and Their Determinants in the Slums of Nairobi and Dakar
Using data from 3,715 slum households in Nairobi and Dakar, we find living conditions for tenants are worse than for owners, although tenants pay significant rents. Compared to Nairobi, both nominal rents and living conditions are higher in Dakar. Despite differences in respective slum rental markets, determinants of rent in both cities are strikingly similar. Analysis suggests that tenure mix—proportion of tenants to owners—affects what is available for rent and overall living conditions. Ensuring a certain proportion of housing is owner occupied may be instrumental for delivering greater choice for tenants and better living conditions for all slum residents.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Goodman, John Jr. & Ittner, John B., 1992. "The accuracy of home owners' estimates of house value," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 339-357, December.
- Stephen Malpezzi & J. Sa-Aadu, 1996. "What Have African Housing Policies Wrought?," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 24(2), pages 133-160.
- Jimenez, Emmanuel & Keare, Douglas H., 1984. "Housing consumption and permanent income in developing countries: Estimates from panel data in El Salvador," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 172-194, March.
- Jha, Saumitra & Rao, Vijayendra & Woolcock, Michael, 2005.
"Governance in the gullies : democratic responsiveness and leadership in Delhi's slums,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3694, The World Bank.
- Jha, Saumitra & Rao, Vijayendra & Woolcock, Michael, 2007. "Governance in the Gullies: Democratic Responsiveness and Leadership in Delhi's Slums," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 230-246, February.
- Kathy J. Hayes & Lori L. Taylor, 1996. "Neighborhood school characteristics: what signals quality to homebuyers?," Economic and Financial Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, issue Q IV, pages 2-9.
- Climent Quintana & Marco González, 2008.
"The reliability of self-reported home values in a developing country context,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
2008-18, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Gonzalez-Navarro, Marco & Quintana-Domeque, Climent, 2009. "The reliability of self-reported home values in a developing country context," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 311-324, December.
- Cotton, Jeremiah, 1988. "On the Decomposition of Wage Differentials," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(2), pages 236-43, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uwp:landec:v:88:y:2012:ii:1:p:251-274. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.