Hedonic Valuation of Farmland Using Sale Prices versus Appraised Values
Farmland provides agricultural products and natural amenities, as well as residential sites. The emergence of exurbanization appears to be changing the demand for natural amenities and their role in determining land values. To better understand how appraised value and sale price capture the determinants of farmland value in a region facing exurbanization, this study applies the hedonic method to land transaction data in southwestern Michigan during 2003–2007. Results suggest that appraised values are a poor substitute for sale prices if the research goal is to understand dynamically evolving determinants of land value in exurbanizing regions, especially the value of natural amenities.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arthur Grimes & Andrew Aitken, 2008. "Water, Water Somewhere: The Value of Water in a Drought-Prone Farming Region," Working Papers 08_10, Motu Economic and Public Policy Research.
- Kelejian, Harry H & Prucha, Ingmar R, 1998.
"A Generalized Spatial Two-Stage Least Squares Procedure for Estimating a Spatial Autoregressive Model with Autoregressive Disturbances,"
The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics,
Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 99-121, July.
- Harry H. Kelejian & Ingmar R. Prucha, 1997. "A Generalized Spatial Two Stage Least Squares Procedure for Estimating a Spatial Autoregressive Model with Autoregressive Disturbances," Electronic Working Papers 97-002, University of Maryland, Department of Economics, revised Aug 1997.
- B. James Deaton & John P. Hoehn & Patricia E. Norris, 2007.
"Net Buyers, Net Sellers, and Agricultural Landowner Support for Agricultural Zoning,"
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 83(2), pages 153-165.
- Deaton, Brady J., Jr. & Hoehn, John P. & Norris, Patricia E., 2005. "Net Buyers, Net Sellers, and Agricultural Landowner Support for Agricultural Zoning," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19391, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Clapp, John M & Giaccotto, Carmelo, 1992. "Estimating Price Trends for Residential Property: A Comparison of Repeat Sales and Assessed Value Methods," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 357-374, December.
- Kelvin J. Lancaster, 1966. "A New Approach to Consumer Theory," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74, pages 132-132.
- N/A, 1974. "Appraisal," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 67(1), pages 3-7, February.
- Wittenberg, Eric & Harsh, Stephen B., 2007. "2007 Michigan Land Values and Leasing Rates," Agricultural Economic Report Series 6317, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uwp:landec:v:88:y:2012:i:1:p:1-15. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.