Net Buyers, Net Sellers, and Agricultural Landowner Support for Agricultural Zoning
Agricultural zoning and land-use restrictions are long-standing approaches for controlling non-agricultural development. We provide a theoretical explanation for variation in agricultural landowner support for zoning based on landowners’ positions—whether a landowner is a buyer or a seller—in the land market. Hypotheses derived from the model are tested using data from a survey of agricultural landowners in Kent County, Michigan. The empirical findings are consistent with our hypothesis that net buyers and net sellers of agricultural land will differ in their support for agricultural zoning.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeremy R. Groves & Eric Helland, 2002.
"Zoning and the Distribution of Location Rents: An Empirical Analysis of Harris County, Texas,"
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 78(1), pages 28-44.
- Jeremy Groves & Eric Helland, . "Zoning and the Distribution of Locational Rents: An Empirical Analysis of Harris County Texas," Claremont Colleges Working Papers 2000-15, Claremont Colleges.
- Halstead, John M., 1984. "Measuring the Nonmarket Value of Massachusetts Agricultural Land: A Case Study," Northeastern Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 13(1:), April.
- David M. Henneberry & Richard L. Barrows, 1990. "Capitalization of Exclusive Agricultural Zoning into Farmland Prices," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 66(3), pages 249-258.
- François Vaillancourt & Luc Monty, 1997. "The Effect of Agricultural Zoning on Land Prices, Quebec, 1975-1981," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 62(1), pages 36-42.
- Cooley, Thomas F. & LaCivita, C. J., 1982. "A theory of growth controls," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 129-145, September.
- Elena G. Irwin & Nancy E. Bockstael, 2001. "The Problem of Identifying Land Use Spillovers: Measuring the Effects of Open Space on Residential Property Values," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(3), pages 698-704.
- Deaton, Brady J., Jr. & Norris, Patricia E., 2001. "Factors Influencing Support For Rural Land Use Control : A Comment," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 30(2), October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uwp:landec:v:83:y:2007:i:2:p:153-165. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.