Urban Water Demand with Periodic Error Correction
Monthly demand for publicly supplied water to U.S. residences and businesses is estimated from a 10-year panel of 167 cities. A periodic error correction model integrates monthly, annual, and long-run time scales. Statistical consistency is validated by unit root tests adapted to the monthly frequency. Water and wastewater price elasticity of demand is estimated by sector, calendar month, and time horizon.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ronald C. Griffin & James W. Mjelde, 2000. "Valuing Water Supply Reliability," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(2), pages 414-426.
- Roberto Martínez-Espiñeira, 2007.
"An estimation of residential water demand using co-integration and error correction tec hniques,"
Journal of Applied Economics,
Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 161-184, May.
- Martinez-Espineira, Roberto, 2005. "An Estimation of Residential Water Demand Using Co-Integration and Error Correction Techniques," MPRA Paper 615, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jan 2006.
- Roberto Martinez Espineira, 2004. "An Estimation of Residential Water Demand Using Co-integration and Error Correction Techniques," Others 0410002, EconWPA.
- Ronald C. Griffin, 2006. "Water Resource Economics: The Analysis of Scarcity, Policies, and Projects," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 026207267x, June.
- Sylvestre Gaudin & Ronald C. Griffin & Robin C. Sickles, 2001. "Demand Specification for Municipal Water Management: Evaluation of the Stone-Geary Form," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 77(3), pages 399-422.
- R. Martínez-Espiñeira, 2003. "Estimating Water Demand under Increasing-Block Tariffs Using Aggregate Data and Proportions of Users per Block," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 26(1), pages 5-23, September.
- Antonio Musolesi & Mario Nosvelli, 2007. "Dynamics of residential water consumption in a panel of Italian municipalities," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(6), pages 441-444.
- R. Quentin Grafton & Michael B. Ward, 2008. "Prices versus Rationing: Marshallian Surplus and Mandatory Water Restrictions," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 84(s1), pages S57-S65, 09.
- Jasper M. Dalhuisen & Raymond J. G. M. Florax & JHenri L. F. de Groot & Peter Nijkamp, 2003. "Price and Income Elasticities of Residential Water Demand: A Meta-Analysis," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 79(2), pages 292-308.
- Kunst, Robert M, 1993. "Seasonal Cointegration, Common Seasonals, and Forecasting Seasonal Series," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 18(4), pages 761-76.
- Basani, Marcello & Isham, Jonathan & Reilly, Barry, 2008. "The Determinants of Water Connection and Water Consumption: Empirical Evidence from a Cambodian Household Survey," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 953-968, May.
- Boswijk, H Peter & Franses, Philip Hans, 1995. "Periodic Cointegration: Representation and Inference," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 77(3), pages 436-54, August.
- James B. Bushnell & Erin T. Mansur, 2005. "CONSUMPTION UNDER NOISY PRICE SIGNALS: A STUDY OF ELECTRICITY RETAIL RATE DEREGULATION IN SAN DIEGO -super-* ," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(4), pages 493-513, December.
- Olmstead, Sheila M. & Michael Hanemann, W. & Stavins, Robert N., 2007.
"Water demand under alternative price structures,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 181-198, September.
- Roberto Martinez-Espineira & Celine Nauges, 2004. "Is all domestic water consumption sensitive to price control?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(15), pages 1697-1703.
- del Barrio Castro, Tom s & Osborn, Denise R., 2008.
"Cointegration For Periodically Integrated Processes,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(01), pages 109-142, February.
- Tomas del Barrio Castro & Denise R Osborn, 2005. "Cointegration for Periodically Integrated Processes," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 0522, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Dennis Collentine, 2006. "Water Resource Economics: The Analysis of Scarcity, Policies and Projects," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 33(3), pages 437-439, September.
- Ruijs, A. & Zimmermann, A. & van den Berg, M., 2008. "Demand and distributional effects of water pricing policies," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(2-3), pages 506-516, June.
- Lionel W. McKenzie, 2005. "Classical General Equilibrium Theory," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262633302, June.
- Céline Nauges & Alban Thomas, 2003. "Long-run Study of Residential Water Consumption," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 26(1), pages 25-43, September.
- Diakité, Daouda & Semenov, Aggey & Thomas, Alban, 2009. "A proposal for social pricing of water supply in Côte d'Ivoire," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 258-268, March.
- David W. Carter & J. Walter Milon, 2005. "Price Knowledge in Household Demand for Utility Services," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 81(2).
- Bushnell, James & Mansur, Erin T., 2005. "Consumption Under Noisy Price Signals: A Study of Electricity Retail Rate Deregulation in San Diego," Staff General Research Papers 13142, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Thomas M Fullerton Jr & Arturo Elias, 2004. "Short-Term Water Consumption Dynamics in El Paso, Texas," Others 0410005, EconWPA.
- Geoff Edwards, 2006. "Whose Values Count? Demand Management for Melbourne's Water," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 82(s1), pages S54-S63, 09.
- Peter Boswijk, H. & Franses, Philip Hans, 1995. "Testing for periodic integration," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 48(3-4), pages 241-248, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uwp:landec:v:87:y:2011:iii:1:p:528-544. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.