Estimating Water Demand under Increasing-Block Tariffs Using Aggregate Data and Proportions of Users per Block
The price specification suggested by Nordin (1976) for theanalysis of demand under block tariffs is applied to estimatewater demand functions using aggregate data from the Northwest ofSpain. The traditional way of using Nordin's specification whenonly aggregate data are available (using values of marginal priceand difference faced by the average user) is compared with thetheoretically correct one. The latter uses the average marginalprice and the average difference, these averages being weighted bythe proportion of users per block. The availability of data on theproportion of users per block permits also the explicit modellingof the choice of block. The results show that, in the sampleanalyzed, the values of price elasticity under the traditionalspecification and the more innovative one are not significantlydifferent. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2003
Volume (Year): 26 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Postal:c/o EAERE Secretariat - Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei - Isola di San Giorgio Maggiore 8, I-30124 Venice, Italy
Web page: http://www.eaere.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/environmental/journal/10640/PS2|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Breusch, T S, 1978. "Testing for Autocorrelation in Dynamic Linear Models," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(31), pages 334-355, December.
- Douglas A. Houston, 1982. "Revenue Effects from Changes in a Declining Block Pricing Structure," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 58(3), pages 351-363.
- Arbues, Fernando & Garcia-Valinas, Maria Angeles & Martinez-Espineira, Roberto, 2003. "Estimation of residential water demand: a state-of-the-art review," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 81-102, March.
- Godfrey, Leslie G, 1978. "Testing against General Autoregressive and Moving Average Error Models When the Regressors Include Lagged Dependent Variables," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1293-1301, November.
- Burtless, Gary & Hausman, Jerry A, 1978.
"The Effect of Taxation on Labor Supply: Evaluating the Gary Negative Income Tax Experiments,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(6), pages 1103-1130, December.
- G. Burtless & J. A. Hausman, 1977. "The Effect of Taxation on Labor Supply: Evaluating the Gary Negative Income Tax Experiment," Working papers 211, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- R. Martinez-Espiñeira, 2002. "Residential Water Demand in the Northwest of Spain," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 21(2), pages 161-187, February.
- Corral, Leonardo & Fisher, Anthony C. & Hatch, Nile W., 1998. "Price And Non-Price Influences On Water Conservation: An Econometric Model Of Aggregate Demand Under Nonlinear Budget Constraint," 1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT 20958, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association). Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)