Estimating Water Demand under Increasing-Block Tariffs Using Aggregate Data and Proportions of Users per Block
The price specification suggested by Nordin (1976) for theanalysis of demand under block tariffs is applied to estimatewater demand functions using aggregate data from the Northwest ofSpain. The traditional way of using Nordin's specification whenonly aggregate data are available (using values of marginal priceand difference faced by the average user) is compared with thetheoretically correct one. The latter uses the average marginalprice and the average difference, these averages being weighted bythe proportion of users per block. The availability of data on theproportion of users per block permits also the explicit modellingof the choice of block. The results show that, in the sampleanalyzed, the values of price elasticity under the traditionalspecification and the more innovative one are not significantlydifferent. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2003
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 26 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Postal:c/o EAERE Secretariat - Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei - Isola di San Giorgio Maggiore 8, I-30124 Venice, Italy
Web page: http://www.eaere.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/environmental/journal/10640/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Breusch, T S, 1978. "Testing for Autocorrelation in Dynamic Linear Models," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(31), pages 334-355, December.
- Arbues, Fernando & Garcia-Valinas, Maria Angeles & Martinez-Espineira, Roberto, 2003. "Estimation of residential water demand: a state-of-the-art review," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 81-102, March.
- Godfrey, Leslie G, 1978. "Testing against General Autoregressive and Moving Average Error Models When the Regressors Include Lagged Dependent Variables," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1293-1301, November.
- R. Martinez-Espiñeira, 2002. "Residential Water Demand in the Northwest of Spain," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 21(2), pages 161-187, February.
- Corral, Leonardo & Fisher, Anthony C. & Hatch, Nile W., 1998. "Price And Non-Price Influences On Water Conservation: An Econometric Model Of Aggregate Demand Under Nonlinear Budget Constraint," 1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT 20958, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).