Estimating Pollution Abatement Costs of Salmon Aquaculture: A Joint Production Approach
Salmon aquaculture generates good output (i.e., salmon) and bad output (e.g., pollution). A joint production function approach is applied to model both outputs simultaneously. Two environmental production technologies are specified, namely, regulated and unregulated technologies. Two production functions with different mapping rules are applied. Pollution abatement costs are estimated based on a series of data from the Norwegian salmon aquaculture industry. Results indicate that pollution abatement costs vary among observations and models. On average, pollution abatement cost is estimated to be about 3.5% in terms of total farmed salmon production, and 6.5% in terms of total revenue of farmed salmon.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Runar Brännlund & Rolf Färe & Shawna Grosskopf, 1995. "Environmental regulation and profitability: An application to Swedish pulp and paper mills," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 6(1), pages 23-36, July.
- Sumaila, Ussif Rashid & Volpe, John & Liu, Yajie, 2007. "Potential economic benefits from sablefish farming in British Columbia," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 81-84, March.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Weber, William L., 2006. "Shadow prices and pollution costs in U.S. agriculture," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 89-103, January.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Noh, Dong-Woon & Weber, William, 2005. "Characteristics of a polluting technology: theory and practice," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 469-492, June.
- Rolf Färe & Shawna Grosskopf, 2000. "Theory and Application of Directional Distance Functions," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 93-103, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uwp:landec:v:86:y:2010:iii:1:p569-584. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.