The Impact Of Advertising On Aggregate Consumption: The Case Of Italy
One of the last assumptions of neoclassical economics that has not yet been fully challenged is the exogeneity of consumers'preferences. In this paper we attempt to verify and measure the effects of advertising on consumers'demand. We do so by carrying out an econometric analysis, relying on a rather simple econometric model on Italian economy, using quarterly data from 1980 to 2000. We build an ADL model with Koyck transformation and different (and advertising-specific) geometrical rates of decline, and we test both the flow-form and the stock form of advertising. Our conclusions show that in the period under consideration advertising had a positive and significant effect on consumption, with short term and long term elasticities equal respectively to 0.034 and 0.16.
Volume (Year): 3 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3(5)_Fall2008 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www2.spiruharet.ro/facultati/facultate.php?id=14|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ashley, R & Granger, C W J & Schmalensee, R, 1980. "Advertising and Aggregate Consumption: An Analysis of Causality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(5), pages 1149-1167, July.
- Hausman, Jerry, 2015.
"Specification tests in econometrics,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 38(2), pages 112-134.
- Hausman, Jerry A, 1978. "Specification Tests in Econometrics," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1251-1271, November.
- J. A. Hausman, 1976. "Specification Tests in Econometrics," Working papers 185, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Taylor, Lester D & Weiserbs, Daniel, 1972. "Advertising and the Aggregate Consumption Function," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(4), pages 642-655, September.
- Seldom, Barry J. & Jung, Chulho, 1995. "The length of the effect of aggregate advertising on aggregate consumption," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 207-211, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ush:jaessh:v:3:y:2008:i:3(5)_fall2008:p:223-231. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laura Stefanescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.