Investissements Directs Étrangers Et Intégration Régionale : Un État Des Lieux Pour Le Marché Commun D’Afrique De L’Est Et Du Sud
This paper analyzes the evolution of foreign direct investment [FDI] inflows for the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa [COMESA]. We focus especially on the impact of its creation in 1994 on FDI performances for each member of the organization. On the whole, the results are twofold. Firstly, the COMESA, as a group, has attracted more FDI inflows over the last decade. However the global performance remains largely unsatisfactory in comparison with the other regional trade agreements of the developing world. This situation is not surprising to the extent that many barriers to international investment are still present in Eastern and Southern Africa (macroeconomic and political instabilities, unsuitable economic policies, bad infrastructures, unreliable legal systems…). Secondly, the geographical distribution of FDI is strongly heterogeneous within the COMESA. The winners are clearly the countries which have enormous natural resources, such as oil exporting economies.
Volume (Year): 29 (2009)
Issue (Month): ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://regionetdeveloppement.org/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1997.
"Regional Integration and Foreign Direct Investment,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1659, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Magnus Blomstrom & Ari Kokko, 1997. "Regional Integration and Foreign Direct Investment," NBER Working Papers 6019, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1997. "Regional Integration and Foreign Direct Investment," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 172, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Adugna Lemi & Sisay Asefa, 2003. "Foreign Direct Investment and Uncertainty: Empirical Evidence from Africa," The African Finance Journal, Africagrowth Institute, vol. 5(1), pages 36-67.
- Asiedu, Elizabeth, 2002. "On the Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment to Developing Countries: Is Africa Different?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 107-119, January.
- Campos, Nauro F & Kinoshita, Yuko, 2008. "Foreign Direct Investment and Structural Reforms: Evidence from Eastern Europe and Latin America," CEPR Discussion Papers 6690, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Campos, Nauro F & Kinoshita, Yuko, 2008. "Foreign Direct Investment and Structural Reforms: Evidence from Eastern Europe and Latin America," IZA Discussion Papers 3332, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Yuko Kinoshita & Nauro F. Campos, 2008. "Foreign Direct Investment and Structural Reforms; Evidence from Eastern Europe and Latin America," IMF Working Papers 08/26, International Monetary Fund.
- Nauro Campos & Yuko Kinoshita, 2008. "Foreign Direct Investment and Structural Reforms: Evidence from Eastern Europe and Latin America," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp906, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Fabrizio Carmignani, 2006. "The Road to Regional Integration in Africa: Macroeconomic Convergence and Performance in COMESA," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 15(2), pages 212-250, June.
- Fabrizio Carmignani, 2003. "The Road to Regional Integration in Africa: Macroeconomic Convergence and Performance in COMESA," Working Papers 67, University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics, revised Dec 2003.
- Dupasquier, Chantal & Osakwe, Patrick N., 2006. "Foreign direct investment in Africa: Performance, challenges, and responsibilities," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 241-260, April.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Egger, Peter & Pfaffermayr, Michael, 2008. "Estimating regional trade agreement effects on FDI in an interdependent world," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 145(1-2), pages 194-208, July.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Peter Egger & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2007. "Estimating Regional Trade Agreement Effects on FDI in an Interdependent World," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 100, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Anthony J. Venables, 2003. "Winners and losers from regional integration agreements," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(490), pages 747-761, October.
- Venables, Anthony J, 2000. "Winners and Losers from Regional Integration Agreements," CEPR Discussion Papers 2528, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Krugman, Paul, 1991. "Increasing Returns and Economic Geography," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(3), pages 483-499, June.
- Paul Krugman, 1990. "Increasing Returns and Economic Geography," NBER Working Papers 3275, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:6:y:2002:i:4:p:1-19 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jacqueline T Irving, 2005. "Regional Integration of Stock Exchanges in Eastern and Southern Africa; Progress and Prospects," IMF Working Papers 05/122, International Monetary Fund.
- Alfaro, Laura & Chanda, Areendam & Kalemli-Ozcan, Sebnem & Sayek, Selin, 2004. "FDI and economic growth: the role of local financial markets," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 89-112, October.
- Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan & Laura Alfaro & Selin Sayek & Areendam Chanda, 2002. "FDI and Economic Growth: The Role of Local Financial Markets," Macroeconomics 0212007, EconWPA.
- Sylvie Montout & Habib Zitouna, 2005. "Does North-South Integration Affect Multinational Firms' Strategies?," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(3), pages 485-500, 08.
- Julia Kubny & Florian Mölders & Peter Nunnenkamp, 2011. "Regional Integration and FDI in Emerging Markets," Chapters,in: Regional Integration, Economic Development and Global Governance, chapter 8 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Kubny, Julia & Mölders, Florian & Nunnenkamp, Peter, 2008. "Regional integration and FDI in emerging markets," Kiel Working Papers 1418, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Medvedev, Denis, 2006. "Beyond trade : the impact of preferential trade agreements on foreign direct investment inflows," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4065, The World Bank.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2002. "FDI to Africa: The role of price stability and currency instability," MPRA Paper 13872, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carmen Reinhart & Kenneth Rogoff, 2003. "FDI to Africa; The Role of Price Stability and Currency Instability," IMF Working Papers 03/10, International Monetary Fund.
- Balasubramanyam, V N & Sapsford, David & Griffiths, David, 2002. "Regional Integration Agreements and Foreign Direct Investment: Theory and Preliminary Evidence," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 70(3), pages 460-482, June.
- Motta, Massimo & Norman, George, 1996. "Does Economic Integration Cause Foreign Direct Investment?," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 37(4), pages 757-783, November.
- Massimo Motta & George Norman, 1993. "Does economic integration cause foreign direct investment?," Economics Working Papers 28, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Blomstrom, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1997. "Regional integration and foreign direct investment : a conceptual framework and three cases," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1750, The World Bank.
- Andrea Goldstein, 2002. "The New Regionalism in Sub-Saharan Africa: More than Meets the Eye?," OECD Development Centre Policy Briefs 20, OECD Publishing.
- Morisset, Jacques, 2000. "Foreign direct investment in Africa : policies also matter," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2481, The World Bank.
- Carlo Altomonte, 2004. "Regional economic integration and the location of multinational enterprises," KITeS Working Papers 152, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Jan 2004. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tou:journl:v:29:y:2009:p:69-103. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christophe Van Huffel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.