The Impact of Social Capital on Polish Farm Incomes: Findings of an Empirical Survey
Private farming is the dominant mode of agricultural production in most European countries. Not all farmers are equally successful, economically, which is usually explained by different levels of production factors, i.e. land, labour and capital. This article analyses whether social capital is an additional factor contributing to higher agricultural incomes. Using primary evidence from a farm survey in Poland among 410 farmers it can be deduced that social capital is indeed a significant factor determining the level of agricultural income. However, its impact is not as clear-cut as anticipated. The elaboration and testing of appropriate indicators has just started. More in-depth analysis will be needed in the future.
Volume (Year): 18 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CPCE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CPCE20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joel Sobel, 2002. "Can We Trust Social Capital?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 40(1), pages 139-154, March.
- Charles F. Manski, 2000.
"Economic Analysis of Social Interactions,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 14(3), pages 115-136, Summer.
- Charles F. Manski, 2000. "Economic Analysis of Social Interactions," NBER Working Papers 7580, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paldam, Martin & Svendsen, Gert Tinggaard, 2000. "An essay on social capital: looking for the fire behind the smoke," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 339-366, June.
- S. Illeris & G. Akehurst, 2002. "Introduction," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(1), pages 1-3, January.
- G.P. Deshpande, 2004. "The Problem of Culture," China Report, , vol. 40(2), pages 185-187, May.
- repec:elg:eechap:2434_2 is not listed on IDEAS
- Petrick, Martin, 2001. "Documentation of the Poland farm survey 2000," IAMO Discussion Papers 36, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO). Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:pocoec:v:18:y:2006:i:1:p:85-99. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.