The alleged countercyclical nature of Argentina's exports of manufactures
It has been suggested that, during the 1970s and 1980s, excess capacity played an important role in the performance of Latin American exports of manufactures. This paper shows that countercyclical factors should be expected for most exports, and submits the hypothesis that these effects are more important for a limited subset of products with special characteristics. Econometric testing of Argentine export functions could not reject this hypothesis. The paper ends by discussing the implications for export modelling and policy analysis.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 10 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RJTE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RJTE20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eliana A. Cardoso & Rudiger Dornbusch, 1980. "Three Papers on Brazilian Trade and Payments," NBER Working Papers 0541, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Goldstein, Morris & Khan, Mohsin S., 1985. "Income and price effects in foreign trade," Handbook of International Economics, in: R. W. Jones & P. B. Kenen (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 20, pages 1041-1105 Elsevier.
- Elio Londero, 2005. "Shadow Pricing Rules for Partially Traded Goods," Public Economics 0508008, EconWPA.
- Peter Kennedy, 2003. "A Guide to Econometrics, 5th Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 5, volume 1, number 026261183x.
- Andrew B. Bernard & J. Bradford Jensen, 1999.
"Exporting and Productivity,"
NBER Working Papers
7135, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Teitel, Simon & Thoumi, Francisco E, 1986. "From Import Substitution to Exports: The Manufacturing Exports Experience of Argentina and Brazil," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 34(3), pages 455-90, April.
- Alexandre Rands & Analice Amazonas, 1993. "Manufacturing Exports from Brazil: Determinants and Consequences," Working Papers 11, Datamétrica Consultoria Econômica, revised 1993.
- Sofronis Clerides & Saul Lach & James Tybout, 1996.
"Is "Learning-by-Exporting" Important? Micro-Dynamic Evidence from Colombia, Mexico and Morocco,"
NBER Working Papers
5715, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sofronis K. Clerides & Saul Lach & James R. Tybout, 1998. "Is Learning by Exporting Important? Micro-Dynamic Evidence from Colombia, Mexico, and Morocco," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 113(3), pages 903-947.
- Sofronis Clerides & Saul Lach & James Tybout, 1996. "Is "learning-by-exporting" important? Micro-dynamic evidence from Colombia, Mexico and Morocco," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 96-30, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Barros, Alexandre Rands & Amazonas, Analice, 1996. "Manufactured exports from Brazil: determinants and consequences," Revista Brasileira de Economia, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil), vol. 50(1), January.
- Teitel, Simon & Colman Sercovich, Francisco, 1984. "Latin America," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 12(5-6), pages 645-660.
- Azpiazu, Daniel & Kosacoff, Bernardo, 1989. "La industria argentina: desarrollo y cambios estructurales," Oficina de la CEPAL en Buenos Aires (Estudios e Investigaciones) 28585, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:jitecd:v:10:y:2001:i:2:p:151-173. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.