Estimating Sectoral and Geographical Industrial Pollution Inventories in India: Implications for Using Effluent Charge Versus Regulation
Developing countries are increasingly concerned about the growing pollution levels in cities. Because of the lack of reliable information on the nature and magnitude of emissions/discharges from various industrial sources it is difficult for regulators to formulate cost-effective strategies for industrial pollution control. This article uses the Industrial Pollution Projection System database to estimate the industrial pollution load and the associated abatement cost, which can be used to design cost-effective strategies for pollution control. The article also illustrates the cost-effectiveness of market based instruments such as effluent charge vis-a-vis regulation.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 41 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/FJDS20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/FJDS20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tomislav Vukina & John C. Beghin & Ebru G. Solakoglu, 1999.
"Transition to Markets and the Environment: Effects of the Change in the Composition of Manufacturing Output,"
Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications
99-wp216, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Vukina, Tomislav & Beghin, John C. & Solakoglu, Ebru G., 1999. "Transition to markets and the environment: Effects of the change in the composition of manufacturing output," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 4(04), pages 582-598, October.
- Vukina, T. & Beghin, John C. & Solakoglu, E., 1999. "Transition to Markets and the Environment: Effects of the Change in the Composition of Manufacturing Output," Staff General Research Papers Archive 1907, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Tomislav Vukina & John C. Beghin & Ebru G. Solakoglu, 1999. "Transition to Markets and the Environment: Effects of the Change in the Composition of Manufacturing Output," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 99-wp216, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Gale Boyd & George Tolley & Joseph Pang, 2002. "Plant Level Productivity, Efficiency, and Environmental Performance of the Container Glass Industry," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 23(1), pages 29-43, September.
- Dasgupta, Susmita & Huq, Minul & Wheeler, David & Chonghua Zhang, 1996.
"Water pollution abatement by Chinese industry : cost estimates and policy implications,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1630, The World Bank.
- Susmita Dasgupta & Mainul Huq & David Wheeler & Chonghua Zhang, 2001. "Water pollution abatement by Chinese industry: cost estimates and policy implications," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(4), pages 547-557.
- Goldar, Bishwanath & Misra, Smita & Mukherji, Badal, 2001. "Water pollution abatement cost function: methodological issues and an application to small-scale factories in an industrial estate in India," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(01), pages 103-122, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:jdevst:v:41:y:2005:i:1:p:33-61. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.