Do Chemical Reactors Hold the Solution for Global Economic Crises?
What can economists learn from dynamic partial control of chemical reactors? Both chemical reactors and the economy involve many variables that are difficult to fully predict or control. Thus, this paper suggests the use of partial control, which involves indentifying only the key variables that monitor the system. This idea of observing relatively few variables and enabling policy makers to better control the economy is in line with the contributions of Sargent and Sims, who use a limited number of variables to study monetary and fiscal policies. This approach enables a better distinction between cause and effect in the macroeconomy.
|Date of creation:||28 Mar 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 3718 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104|
Web page: http://economics.sas.upenn.edu/pier
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christopher A. Sims, 1989.
"Models and Their Uses,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 71(2), pages 489-494.
- Christopher A. Sims, 1989. "Models and their uses," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 11, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Erwin OOGHE & Andreas PEICHL, 2010. "Fair and efficient taxation under partial control: theory and evidence," Working Papers Department of Economics ces10.32, KU Leuven, Faculty of Economics and Business, Department of Economics.
- Erwin Ooghe & Andreas Peichl, 2011. "Fair and Efficient Taxation under Partial Control: Theory and Evidence," CESifo Working Paper Series 3518, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ooghe, Erwin & Peichl, Andreas, 2010. "Fair and Efficient Taxation under Partial Control: Theory and Evidence," IZA Discussion Papers 5388, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Adelheid Holl & Rafael Pardo & Ruth Rama, 2010. "Just-in-Time Manufacturing Systems, Subcontracting and Geographic Proximity," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(5), pages 519-533.
- Friedman, Joseph & Shachmurove, Yochanan, 1997. "Co-movements of major European community stock markets: A vector autoregression analysis," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 257-277.
- Sargent, Thomas J, 1978. "Rational Expectations, Econometric Exogeneity, and Consumption," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(4), pages 673-700, August.
- Thomas J. Sargent, 1977. "Rational expectations, econometric exogeneity and consumption," Staff Report 25, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Furkan Emirmahmutoglu & Nezir Kose & Yeliz Yalcin, 2007. "The Kalman filter method for break point estimation in unit root tests," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(3), pages 193-198.
- Rita Pandey, 2005. "Estimating Sectoral and Geographical Industrial Pollution Inventories in India: Implications for Using Effluent Charge Versus Regulation," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(1), pages 33-61.
- Sang-Ho Lee & Iltae Kim, 2000. "Self-Selection and Optimal Nonlinear Effluent Charges," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 16(1), pages 1-14, May.
- Bo-sin Tang & Lennon H. T. Choy & Joshua K. F. Wat, 2000. "Certainty and Discretion in Planning Control: A Case Study of Office Development in Hong Kong," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 37(13), pages 2465-2483, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pen:papers:12-010. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dolly Guarini)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.