Estimation of cost allocation coefficients at the farm level using an entropy approach
This paper aims to estimate the farm cost allocation coefficients from whole-farm input costs. An entropy approach was developed under a Tobit formulation and was applied to a sample of farms from the 2004 Farm Accountancy Data Network data base for Alentejo region, Southern Portugal. A Generalized Maximum Entropy model and Cross Generalized Entropy model were developed to the sample conditions and were tested. Model results were assessed in terms of their precision and estimation power and were compared with the observed data. The entropy approach showed to be a flexible and valid tool to estimate incomplete information, namely regarding farm costs.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 40 (2013)
Issue (Month): 9 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CJAS20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CJAS20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- A. Moxey & R. Tiffin, 1994. "Estimating Linear Production Coefficients From Farm Business Survey Data: A Note," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(3), pages 381-385.
- Zhang, Xiaobo & Fan, Shenggen, 1999.
"Estimating crop-specific production technologies in Chinese agriculture: a generalized maximum entropy approach,"
EPTD discussion papers
50, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Xiaobo Zhang & Shenggen Fan, 2001. "Estimating Crop-Specific Production Technologies in Chinese Agriculture: A Generalized Maximum Entropy Approach," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(2), pages 378-388.
- Howitt, Richard E. & Reynaud, Arnaud, 2002. "Spatial Disaggregation of Agricultural Production Data," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24961, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Lence, Sergio H. & Miller, Douglas, 1998.
"Recovering Output-Specific Inputs from Aggregate Input Data: A Generalized Cross Entropy Approach,"
Staff General Research Papers Archive
1305, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Sergio H. Lence & Douglas J. Miller, 1998. "Recovering Output-Specific Inputs from Aggregate Input Data: A Generalized Cross-Entropy Approach," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(4), pages 852-867.
- Campbell, Randall C. & Hill, R. Carter, 2005. "A Monte Carlo study of the effect of design characteristics on the inequality restricted maximum entropy estimator," Review of Applied Economics, Review of Applied Economics, vol. 1(1).
- Iain Fraser, 2000. "An application of maximum entropy estimation: the demand for meat in the United Kingdom," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(1), pages 45-59.
- Cesaltina Pires & Andreia Dionisio & Luís Coelho, 2010. "GME versus OLS - Which is the best to estimate utility functions?," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2010_02, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- Yves Léony & Ludo Peeters & Maurice Quinqu & Yves Surry, 1999. "The Use of Maximum Entropy to Estimate Input-Output Coefficients From Regional Farm Accounting Data," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(3), pages 425-439.
- Paul V. Preckel, 2001. "Least Squares and Entropy: A Penalty Function Perspective," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(2), pages 366-377.
- Golan, Amos & Judge, George G. & Miller, Douglas, 1996. "Maximum Entropy Econometrics," Staff General Research Papers Archive 1488, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Paris, Quirino & Caputo, Michael R., 2001. "Sensitivity Of The Gme Estimates To Support Bounds," Working Papers 11966, University of California, Davis, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:japsta:v:40:y:2013:i:9:p:1893-1906. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.