A Monte Carlo study of the effect of design characteristics on the inequality restricted maximum entropy estimator
In this paper, we conduct a set of Monte Carlo sampling experiments to examine the effect of design characteristics on the inequality restricted maximum entropy (RME) estimator. We generate data under varying design characteristics, and estimate the parameters using maximum entropy and least squares estimation, both with and without parameter inequality restrictions. As part of the experimental design we vary the sample size, the distribution of the regressors, the distribution of the errors, the degree of collinearity, the signal-to-noise ratio, and the specification error. We compare the alternative estimators on the basis of mean square error.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shen, Edward Z. & Perloff, Jeffrey M., 2001. "Maximum entropy and Bayesian approaches to the ratio problem," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 289-313, September.
- Hendry, David F., 1984. "Monte carlo experimentation in econometrics," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 16, pages 937-976 Elsevier.
- Golan, Amos & Judge, George G. & Miller, Douglas, 1996. "Maximum Entropy Econometrics," Staff General Research Papers 1488, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521623940 is not listed on IDEAS
- Judge, G. G. & Hill, R. Carter & Bock, M. E., 1990. "An adaptive empirical Bayes estimator of the multivariate normal mean under quadratic loss," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 44(1-2), pages 189-213.
- Iain Fraser, 2000. "An application of maximum entropy estimation: the demand for meat in the United Kingdom," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(1), pages 45-59.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 1993. "Estimation and Inference in Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195060119, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:reapec:143485. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.