The Hysteretic Effects on the Real Exchange Rates
In this paper we investigate the dynamics developed from the exchange rate relative price relationship using a hysteresis framework. The rationale for such hysteretic effects is in terms of firms' unresponsiveness to the exchange rate changes due to pricing to market-type arguments.The empirical support of these ideas is derived by applying a linear approximation of the hysteretic effects.We conclude that the hysteretic effects are a source of non-linearity, strongly affecting the long-run relationship of exchange rate and prices.
Volume (Year): 16 (2002)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CIRA20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CIRA20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frankel, Jeff & Froot, Ken, 1986.
"Using Survey Data to Test Standard Propositions Regarding Exchange Rate Expectations,"
Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt1972q8wm, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A & Froot, Kenneth A, 1987. "Using Survey Data to Test Standard Propositions Regarding Exchange Rate Expectations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(1), pages 133-53, March.
- Ronald MacDonald, 1995.
"Asset Market and Balance of Payments Characteristics; An Eclectic Exchange Rate Model for the Dollar, Mark, and Yen,"
IMF Working Papers
95/55, International Monetary Fund.
- Ronald Macdonald, 1999. "Asset Market and Balance of Payments Characteristics: An Eclectic Exchange Rate Model for the Dollar, Mark and Yen," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 5-29, February.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1989.
" Real Exchange Rates and Macroeconomics: A Selective Survey,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 91(2), pages 401-32.
- Rudiger Dornbusch, 1988. "Real Exchange Rates and Macroeconomics: A Selective Survey," NBER Working Papers 2775, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- De Long, J. Bradford & Shleifer, Andrei & Summers, Lawrence H. & Waldmann, Robert J., 1990.
"Noise Trader Risk in Financial Markets,"
3725552, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Betts, Caroline & Devereux, Michael B., 2000. "Exchange rate dynamics in a model of pricing-to-market," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 215-244, February.
- Giovannini, Alberto, 1988. "Exchange rates and traded goods prices," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1-2), pages 45-68, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:irapec:v:16:y:2002:i:4:p:451-463. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.