Unemployment Insurance and State Economic Activity
The unemployment insurance (UI) system collects premiums from firms and provides temporary compensation to involuntarily unemployed workers. The system has traditionally been viewed as an automatic stabilizer for national and area economies. This paper examines the impacts that UI benefits and contributions have had upon general economic activity in California and Michigan, large states that have experienced episodes of moderate and high unemployment rates, respectively, during the past two decades. For each state, we prepare a multiequation model of the economy and impose constraints represented by cointegrating vectors. Impulse responses measuring the impact of UI benefits and contributions on the economies are obtained from the models. The strengths of the responses are assessed using significance tests based upon distributions that have been derived for models containing cointegrating vectors. The results indicate that UI benefits and contributions provide little impact of consequence upon general economic activity in the two states. [E24]
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 13 (1999)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RIEJ20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RIEJ20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schwert, G William, 2002.
"Tests for Unit Roots: A Monte Carlo Investigation,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 5-17, January.
- George M. Von Furstenberg, 1976. "Stabilization Characteristics of Unemployment Insurance," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 29(3), pages 363-376, April.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Shoesmith, Gary L., 1992. "Non-cointegration and causality: Implications for VAR modeling," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 187-199, October.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015.
"Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Perron, P., 1986.
"Trends and Random Walks in Macroeconomic Time Series: Further Evidence From a New Approach,"
Cahiers de recherche
8650, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Perron, Pierre, 1988. "Trends and random walks in macroeconomic time series : Further evidence from a new approach," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 297-332.
- Oaxaca, Ronald L. & Taylor, Carol A., 1986. "Simulating the impacts of economic programs on urban areas: The case of unemployment insurance benefits," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 23-46, January.
- Lutkepohl, Helmut, 1990. "Asymptotic Distributions of Impulse Response Functions and Forecast Error Variance Decompositions of Vector Autoregressive Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(1), pages 116-25, February.
- Terrence Kinal & Jonathan Ratner, 1986. "A VAR Forecasting Model of a Regional Economy: Its Construction and Comparative Accuracy," International Regional Science Review, SAGE Publishing, vol. 10(2), pages 113-126, August.
- Lutkepohl, Helmut & Reimers, Hans-Eggert, 1992. "Impulse response analysis of cointegrated systems," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 53-78, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:intecj:v:13:y:1999:i:3:p:77-95. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.