Unemployment Insurance and State Economic Activity
The unemployment insurance (UI) system collects premiums from firms and provides temporary compensation to involuntarily unemployed workers. The system has traditionally been viewed as an automatic stabilizer for national and area economies. This paper examines the impacts that UI benefits and contributions have had upon general economic activity in California and Michigan, large states that have experienced episodes of moderate and high unemployment rates, respectively, during the past two decades. For each state, we prepare a multiequation model of the economy and impose constraints represented by cointegrating vectors. Impulse responses measuring the impact of UI benefits and contributions on the economies are obtained from the models. The strengths of the responses are assessed using significance tests based upon distributions that have been derived for models containing cointegrating vectors. The results indicate that UI benefits and contributions provide little impact of consequence upon general economic activity in the two states. [E24]
Volume (Year): 13 (1999)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RIEJ20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RIEJ20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Terrence Kinal & Jonathan Ratner, 1986. "A VAR Forecasting Model of a Regional Economy: Its Construction and Comparative Accuracy," International Regional Science Review, , vol. 10(2), pages 113-126, August.
- G. William Schwert, 1988.
"Tests For Unit Roots: A Monte Carlo Investigation,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0073, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Schwert, G William, 1989. "Tests for Unit Roots: A Monte Carlo Investigation," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 7(2), pages 147-59, April.
- Schwert, G William, 2002. "Tests for Unit Roots: A Monte Carlo Investigation," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 5-17, January.
- Perron, Pierre, 1988.
"Trends and random walks in macroeconomic time series : Further evidence from a new approach,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 297-332.
- Perron, P., 1986. "Trends and Random Walks in Macroeconomic Time Series: Further Evidence From a New Approach," Cahiers de recherche 8650, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- George M. Von Furstenberg, 1976. "Stabilization characteristics of unemployment insurance," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 29(3), pages 363-376, April.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987.
"Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015. "Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Lutkepohl, Helmut, 1990. "Asymptotic Distributions of Impulse Response Functions and Forecast Error Variance Decompositions of Vector Autoregressive Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(1), pages 116-25, February.
- Oaxaca, Ronald L. & Taylor, Carol A., 1986. "Simulating the impacts of economic programs on urban areas: The case of unemployment insurance benefits," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 23-46, January.
- Shoesmith, Gary L., 1992. "Non-cointegration and causality: Implications for VAR modeling," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 187-199, October.
- Lutkepohl, Helmut & Reimers, Hans-Eggert, 1992. "Impulse response analysis of cointegrated systems," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 53-78, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:intecj:v:13:y:1999:i:3:p:77-95. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.