Is it Efficient to Impose Costs on Small-Volume Equity Traders?
A securities market that imposes higher trading costs on small-volume traders may reduce free-riding on information generated by large-volume traders. The reduction in free-riding increases the probability that large-volume traders will invest in socially beneficial information and engage in costly monitoring of managers of firms in their portfolio.V arious mechanisms can be used to impose costs on small-volume traders.We argue that Nasdaq's former treatment of limit orders was one such mechanism. Depending on the market's structure and the nature of the securities traded in the market, a reduction in freeriding activity may improve overall market efficiency despite a potentially negative impact on information dissemination.
Volume (Year): 6 (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CIJB20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CIJB20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reena Aggarwal & James J. Angel, .
"The Rise and Fall of the AMEX Emerging Company Marketplace,"
_002, Georgetown School of Business.
- Aggarwal, Reena & Angel, James J., 1999. "The rise and fall of the Amex Emerging Company Marketplace," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 257-289, May.
- Christie, William G & Schultz, Paul H, 1994. " Why Do NASDAQ Market Makers Avoid Odd-Eighth Quotes?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(5), pages 1813-40, December.
- Amihud, Yakov & Mendelson, Haim, 1986. "Asset pricing and the bid-ask spread," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 223-249, December.
- Huang, Roger D. & Stoll, Hans R., 1996. "Dealer versus auction markets: A paired comparison of execution costs on NASDAQ and the NYSE," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 313-357, July.
- Christie William G. & Huang Roger D., 1994. "Market Structures and Liquidity: A Transactions Data Study of Exchange Listings," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 300-326, June.
- Clyde, Paul & Schultz, Paul & Zaman, Mir, 1997. " Trading Costs and Exchange Delisting: The Case of Firms That Voluntarily Move from the American Stock Exchange to the Nasdaq," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(5), pages 2103-12, December.
- Demsetz, Harold & Lehn, Kenneth, 1985. "The Structure of Corporate Ownership: Causes and Consequences," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(6), pages 1155-77, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:ijecbs:v:6:y:1999:i:1:p:81-92. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.