Agency Problems and the Performance of Venture-backed IPOs in Germany: Exit Strategies, Lock-up Periods, and Bank Ownership
The agency problems for initial public offerings are well documented in the literature. The objective of this research is to investigate the potential conflicts of interest for the 'Neuer Markt' in Germany. Of special interest are venture-backed IPOs and those in which banks acted as venture capitalist, underwriter, and provided analyst recommendations. High initial returns and outperformance are observed over the first 6 months of trading, which decreases significantly over the subsequent 18 months. The individual performance depends on the VC's underwriter and bank affiliation, exit behaviour, and lock-up commitment. Venture capitalists, and especially banks, timed their exit well. This indicates some serious agency problems in the German IPO market.
Volume (Year): 13 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/REJF20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/REJF20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Susanne Espenlaub & Marc Goergen & Arif Khurshed, 2001. "PO Lock-in Agreements in the UK," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(9&10), pages 1235-1278.
- Hamao, Yasushi & Packer, Frank & Ritter, Jay R., 2000.
"Institutional affiliation and the role of venture capital: Evidence from initial public offerings in Japan,"
Pacific-Basin Finance Journal,
Elsevier, vol. 8(5), pages 529-558, October.
- Yasushi Hamao & Frank Packer & Jay Ritter, 1998. "Institutional affiliation and the role of venture capital: evidence from initial public offerings in Japan," Research Paper 9807, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Yasushi Hamao & Frank Packer & Jay Ritter, 1998. "Institutional affiliation and the role of venture capital: evidence from initial public offerings in Japan," Staff Reports 52, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Tykvová, Tereza & Walz, Uwe, 2004. "Are IPOs of Different VCs Different?," ZEW Discussion Papers 04-32, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Bill Francis & Iftekhar Hasan, 2001. "The Underpricing of Venture and Nonventure Capital IPOs: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 19(2), pages 99-113, April.
- Paul Gompers & Josh Lerner, 1998. "Venture Capital Distributions: Short-Run and Long-Run Reactions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(6), pages 2161-2183, December.
- Ber, Hedva & Yafeh, Yishay & Yosha, Oved, 2001. "Conflict of interest in universal banking: Bank lending, stock underwriting, and fund management," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 189-218, February.
- Tykvová, Tereza & Walz, Uwe, 2004. "Are IPOs of different VCs different?," CFS Working Paper Series 2004/02, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Tim Loughran & Jay Ritter, 2004. "Why Has IPO Underpricing Changed Over Time?," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 33(3), Fall.
- Gompers, Paul & Lerner, Josh, 1999. "Conflict of Interest in the Issuance of Public Securities: Evidence from Venture Capital," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 42(1), pages 1-28, April.
- Paul Gompers & Josh Lerner, 1998. "Conflict of Interest in the Issuance of Public Securities: Evidence from Venture Capital," NBER Working Papers 6847, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alon Brav & Paul A. Gompers, 2003. "The Role of Lockups in Initial Public Offerings," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 16(1), pages 1-29.
- Puri, Manju, 1996. "Commercial banks in investment banking Conflict of interest or certification role?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 373-401, March.
- Michaely, Roni & Womack, Kent L, 1999. "Conflict of Interest and the Credibility of Underwriter Analyst Recommendations," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 12(4), pages 653-686.
- Megginson, William L & Weiss, Kathleen A, 1991. " Venture Capitalist Certification in Initial Public Offerings," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(3), pages 879-903, July.
- Brad Barber, 2001. "Can Investors Profit from the Prophets? Security Analyst Recommendations and Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(2), pages 531-563, 04.
- Lerner, Joshua, 1994. "Venture capitalists and the decision to go public," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 293-316, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)