Regional Short-Run Effects Of Trade Liberalization In Brazil
We use a single-country multi-regional computable general equilibrium model to evaluate regional short-run impacts of reduction in import tariffs resulting from recent free trade area agreements, on poverty and distribution of income in Brazil. Results show that trade can reduce inter-regional income inequality, but poor urban households lose with trade liberalization. Trade policy alone is not sufficient for achieving more equitable income distribution goals in Brazil. Without greater investment in human and physical capital, incomes in most regions of Brazil are likely to lag behind incomes in the South/Southeast, the most developed regions in the country.
Volume (Year): 22 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CESR20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CESR20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carneiro, Francisco Galrao & Arbache, Jorge Saba, 2003. "The Impacts of Trade on the Brazilian Labor Market: A CGE Model Approach," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(9), pages 1581-1595, September.
- Lal, Deepak, 1986. "Stolper-Samuelson-Rybczynski in the Pacific : Real wages and real exchange rates in the Philippines, 1956-1978," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 181-204, April.
- Robinson, Sherman & Cattaneo, Andrea & El-Said, Moataz, 2000.
"Updating and estimating a Social Accounting Matrix using cross entropy methods,"
TMD discussion papers
58, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Sherman Robinson & Andrea Cattaneo & Moataz El-Said, 2001. "Updating and Estimating a Social Accounting Matrix Using Cross Entropy Methods," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 47-64.
- Löfgren, Hans & Harris, Rebecca Lee & Robinson, Sherman, 2001. "A standard computable general equilibrium (CGE) model in GAMS," TMD discussion papers 75, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Harrison, Glenn W. & Rutherford, Thomas F. & Tarr, David G., 2003.
"Trade liberalization, poverty and efficient equity,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 97-128, June.
- Glenn W. Harrison & Thomas F. Rutherford & David G. Tarr, 2014. "Trade liberalization, poverty and efficient equity," World Scientific Book Chapters, in: APPLIED TRADE POLICY MODELING IN 16 COUNTRIES Insights and Impacts from World Bank CGE Based Projects, chapter 11, pages 255-286 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Harrison Glenn & Rutherford Thomas & Tarr David, . "Trade Liberalization, Poverty and Efficient Equity," EcoMod2002 330800032, EcoMod.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:4:y:2003:i:7:p:1-6 is not listed on IDEAS
- Liew, L. H., 1984. ""Tops-down" versus "bottoms-up" approaches to regional modeling," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 351-367, August.
- Robinson, Sherman, 1989. "Multisectoral models," Handbook of Development Economics, in: Hollis Chenery & T.N. Srinivasan (ed.), Handbook of Development Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 18, pages 885-947 Elsevier.
- Thurlow, James & van Seventer, Dirk Ernst, 2002. "A standard computable general equilibrium model for South Africa," TMD discussion papers 100, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Löfgren, Hans & Robinson, Sherman & Thurlow, James, 2002. "Macro and micro effects of recent and potential shocks to copper mining in Zambia," TMD discussion papers 99, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Peter J. Higgs & B. R. Parmenter & Russell J. Rimmer, 1988. "A Hybrid Top-Down, Bottom-Up Regional Computable General Equilibrium Model," International Regional Science Review, SAGE Publishing, vol. 11(3), pages 317-328, December.
- Dani Rodrik, 1992. "The Limits of Trade Policy Reform in Developing Countries," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(1), pages 87-105, Winter.
- Mehlum, Halvor, 2002. "Zimbabwe: Investments, credibility and the dynamics following trade liberalization: on the investment response during trade reform," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 565-584, August.
- Beyer, Harald & Rojas, Patricio & Vergara, Rodrigo, 1999. "Trade liberalization and wage inequality," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 103-123, June.
- Flores, Renato Jr., 1997. "The gains from MERCOSUL: A general equilibrium, imperfect competition evaluation," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 1-18, February.
- Danny M. Leipziger & Claudio Frischtak & Homi Kharas & John F. Normand, 1997. "Mercosur: Integration and Industrial Policy," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(5), pages 585-603, 08.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:4:y:2003:i:3:p:1-5 is not listed on IDEAS
- Menezes Filho, N. A. & Giovannetti, Bruno, 2006. "Trade Liberalization and Demand for Skill in Brazil," Insper Working Papers wpe_57, Insper Working Paper, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
- Stéphane Mussard & Michel Terraza & Françoise Seyte, 2003. "Decomposition of Gini and the generalized entropy inequality measures," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 4(7), pages 1-6.
- Silber, Jacques, 1989. "Factor Components, Population Subgroups and the Computation of the Gini Index of Inequality," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(1), pages 107-15, February.
- J. S. Arbache, 2001. "Wage Differentials in Brazil: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(2), pages 109-130.
- Robbins, Donald & Gindling, T H, 1999. "Trade Liberalization and the Relative Wages for More-Skilled Workers in Costa Rica," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(2), pages 140-54, June.
- Haddad, Eduardo A. & Domingues, Edson P. & Perobelli, Fernando S., 2002. "Regional effects of economic integration: the case of Brazil," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 453-482, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:ecsysr:v:22:y:2010:i:1:p:65-85. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.