The Qualitative and Quantitative Significance of Non-Tariff Barriers: An ERP study of Norway
Along with a de-escalation of tariffsin most industrialized countries, a wide range of Non-Tariff Barriers (NTBs) has been developed. NTBs are more challenging to study than tariffsbecause they are more difficult to detect and measure, and because the qualitative functioning of NTBs varies according to their design. In particular, equivalent tariff rate estimates on import quantity restrictions will endogenously react to domestic market shifts, for instance as a result of shifts in other commercial policy measures. Besides emphasizing the quantitative dominance of NTBs to tariffs in the Norwegian trade policy system, this study of Effective Rates of Protection clearly illustrates that it may be critical for trade policy studies to model qualitatively the interdependency between different policy measures.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 14 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CESR20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CESR20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brander, James & Krugman, Paul, 1983.
"A 'reciprocal dumping' model of international trade,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 15(3-4), pages 313-321, November.
- James Brander & Paul Krugman, 1980. "A "Reciprocal Dumping" Model of International Trade," Working Papers 405, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- James A. Brander & Paul Krugman, 1983. "A 'Reciprocal Dumping' Model of International Trade," NBER Working Papers 1194, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James Brander & Paul Krugman, 1982. "A 'Reciprocal Dumping' Model of International Trade," Working Papers 513, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Jaime de Melo & L Alan Winters, 2015. "Do exporters gain from VERs?," World Scientific Book Chapters,in: Non-Tariff Barriers, Regionalism and Poverty Essays in Applied International Trade Analysis, chapter 3, pages 49-67 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- de Melo, Jaime & Winters, L. Alan, 1993. "Do exporters gain from VERs?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(7), pages 1331-1349, October.
- Jaime de Melo & L. Alan Winters, 2015. "Do Exporters Gain from VERs?," World Scientific Book Chapters,in: Developing Countries in the World Economy, chapter 11, pages 257-275 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- de Melo, Jaime & Winters, L. Alan, 1990. "Do Exporters Gain From VERs?," CEPR Discussion Papers 383, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Melo, J. de & Winters, L.A., 1993. "Do Exporters Gain from VERs?," Research Papers by the Institute of Economics and Econometrics, Geneva School of Economics and Management, University of Geneva 93.18, Institut d'Economie et Econométrie, Université de Genève.
- Smith, Alasdair & Venables, Anthony J., 1988. "Completing the internal market in the European Community : Some industry simulations," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1501-1525, September.
- Smith, Alasdair & Venables, Anthony J, 1988. "Completing the Internal Market in the European Community: Some Industry Simulations," CEPR Discussion Papers 233, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- repec:fth:geneec:93.11 is not listed on IDEAS
- Devarajan, Shantayanan & Sussangkarn, Chalongphob, 1992. "Effective Rates of Protection When Domestic and Foreign Goods Are Imperfect Substitutes: The Case of Thailand," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(4), pages 701-711, November.
- Johnson, Harry G, 1969. "The Theory of Effective Protection and Preferences," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 36(142), pages 119-138, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:ecsysr:v:14:y:2002:i:1:p:35-57. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.