An analysis of self-employment subsidies with duration models
The determinants of continuity of subsidized self-employment activities are studied by means of duration models in Asturias (Spain). Variables related to socio-economic characteristics of the self-employed and to subsidized businesses are included in the models. Moreover, to consider the economic situation, the regional unemployment rate has been taken into account. A general survival analysis is complemented with a competing risk model that considers two types of exits from self-employment (failure versus other reasons). The significant variables that explain survival are age, industry, whether the business is the main source of family income or not and the unemployment rate.
Volume (Year): 38 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roope Uusitalo, 2001.
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(13), pages 1631-1638.
- Roope Uusitalo, 1999. "Homo Entreprenaurus?," Discussion Papers 205, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Pfeiffer, Friedhelm & Reize, Frank, 2000. "Business start-ups by the unemployed -- an econometric analysis based on firm data," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(5), pages 629-663, September.
- Pfeiffer, Friedhelm & Reize, Frank, 1998. "Business Start-ups by the Unemployed - an Econometric Analysis Based on Firm Data," ZEW Discussion Papers 98-38, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Christopher J. O'Leary, 1999. "Promoting Self Employment Among the Unemployed in Hungary and Poland," Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles 99-55, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- Taylor, Mark P, 1999. "Survival of the Fittest? An Analysis of Self-Employment Duration in Britain," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(454), pages 140-155, March.
- Carrasco, Raquel, 1999. " Transitions to and from Self-employment in Spain: An Empirical Analysis," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(3), pages 315-341, August.
- Carrasco, R., 1997. "Transitions to and from Self-Employment in Spain: An Empirical Analysis," Papers 9710, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:v:38:y:2006:i:1:p:23-32. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Longhurst)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.