Identifying deprivation profiles in Spain: a new approach
Usually, an indirect approach for measuring deprivation or poverty is used with poverty lines. However, some studies have used a direct approach to measure deprivation or poverty. The aim of this study is improving the identification of the poor people. The central point of the concept of deprivation used is related to the opportunity to have or do something. Therefore, deprivation means an inability to get the goods, facilities and opportunities, which are usual in the household environment. Since all of the needed variables are categorical, the latent class model is used to solve this problem because it is the best model to achieve this objective.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 37 (2005)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Canto, Olga, 2000.
"Income Mobility in Spain: How Much Is There?,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 46(1), pages 85-102, March.
- Olga CantÛ-Sánchez, "undated". "Income mobility in Spain: How much is there," Studies on the Spanish Economy 17, FEDEA.
- Francesco Devicienti, 2002. "Poverty persistence in Britain: A multivariate analysis using the BHPS, 1991–1997," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 77(1), pages 307-340, December.
- Francesco Devicienti, 2002. "Poverty persistence in Britain: A multivariate analysis using the BHPS, 1991–1997," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 307-340, December.
- Devicienti, Francesco, 2001. "Poverty persistence in Britain: a multivariate analysis using the BHPS, 1991-1997," ISER Working Paper Series 2001-02, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Ann Huff Stevens, 1999. "Climbing out of Poverty, Falling Back in: Measuring the Persistence of Poverty Over Multiple Spells," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 34(3), pages 557-588.
- Ann Huff Stevens, 1995. "Climbing Out of Poverty, Falling Back In: Measuring the Persistence of Poverty over Multiple Spells," NBER Working Papers 5390, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nolan, Brian & Whelan, Christopher T., 1996. "Resources, Deprivation, and Poverty," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198287858.
- Maasoumi, Esfandiar & Nickelsburg, Gerald, 1988. "Multivariate Measures of Well-Being and an Analysis of Inequality in the Michigan Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 6(3), pages 326-334, July.
- Luis Ayala & Rosa Martinez & Jesus Ruiz-Huerta, 2002. "Institutional determinants of the unemployment-earnings inequality trade-off," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(2), pages 179-195.
- Hirschberg, Joseph G. & Maasoumi, Esfandiar & Slottje, Daniel J., 1991. "Cluster analysis for measuring welfare and quality of life across countries," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 50(1-2), pages 131-150, October.
- Susan E. Mayer & Christopher Jencks, 1989. "Poverty and the Distribution of Material Hardship," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 24(1), pages 88-114.
- Stevens, Ann Huff, 1994. "The Dynamics of Poverty Spells: Updating Bane and Ellwood," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(2), pages 34-37, May.
- Walter Enders & Gary Hoover, 2003. "The effect of robust growth on poverty: a nonlinear analysis," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(9), pages 1063-1071.
- Ruben Cohen, 1998. "An analysis of the dynamic behaviour of earnings distributions," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(1), pages 1-17.
- Ram, Rati, 1982. "Composite indices of physical quality of life, basic needs fulfilment, and income : A principal component representation," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 227-247, October. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)