Discrimination in matchmaking: evidence from the price policy of a French marriage bureau
This article shows how a matchmaking agency may improve the quality of serious meetings between individuals seeking long-term relationship, thanks to a price discrimination policy. Its filtering is based on objective and official characteristics (sex, age and contract's environment) and on implicit criteria: the few asked characteristics by its clients.
Volume (Year): 36 (2004)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cameron, Samuel & Collins, Alan, 1997. "Estimates of a Hedonic Ageing Equation for Partner Search," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(3), pages 409-18.
- Becker, Gary S, 1973. "A Theory of Marriage: Part I," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(4), pages 813-46, July-Aug..
- Bergstrom, T. & Bagnoli, M., 1990.
"Courtship as a Waiting Game,"
90-12, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Mark Bagnoli & Ted Bergstrom, . "Courtship as a Waiting Game," Papers _030, University of Michigan, Department of Economics.
- Bergstrom, T. & Bagnoli, M., 1991. "Courtship as a waiting game," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 386, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Bergstrom, T. & Bagnali, M., 1991. "Courtship as a Waiting Game," Papers 91-3, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Sam Cameron & Nicolas Vaillant, 2005. "A goods characteristics model of the hedonic ageing equation: evidence from a French marriage bureau," Brussels Economic Review, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles, vol. 48(4), pages 341-354.
- Gaelle Guirriec & Nicolas Vaillant, 2005. "From Libertinism to Marital Commitment: The Economics of Marital Search with Heterogeneous Agents," Journal of Bioeconomics, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 85-98, 01.
- Ken Burdett & Melvyn G. Coles, 1997. "Marriage and Class," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(1), pages 141-168.
- Anderson, David A. & Hamori, Shigeyuki, 2000. "A theory of quality signaling in the marriage market," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 229-242, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:v:36:y:2004:i:7:p:723-729. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.