Independence of monetary policy under fixed exchange rates: the case of Saudi Arabia
This study specifies a modified version of the monetary approach to the balance of payments (MABP) model with free capital flow and fixed exchange rates for Saudi Arabia, and tests the independence of monetary policy of its central bank using annual data from 1960 to 1994. Further, capital flight and speculative inventory behaviour of importers of consumer and capital goods in Saudi Arabia are also tested to the expected exchange rate depreciation during the periods of exchange turmoil against the riyal. The results of this study indicate that Saudi Arabian Monetary Authority has at best a weak control on its money supply which is in accord with one of the predictions of MABP theory. Further, the study found little support to the speculative inventory behaviour of the importers of consumer and capital goods in Saudi Arabia against exchange rate depreciation of the riyal. However, the results suggest that the expected change in exchange rate depreciation has a positive and a significant impact on capital flight in Saudi Arabia.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 35 (2003)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stockman, A.C. & Ohnian, L.E., 1993.
"Short-Run Independence of Monetary Policy Under Pagged Exchange Rates and Effects of Money on Exchange Rates and Interest Rates,"
RCER Working Papers
361, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Lee E. Ohanian & Alan C. Stockman, 1997. "Short-run independence of monetary policy under pegged exchange rates and effects of money on exchange rates and interest rates," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 783-814.
- Ohanian, Lee E & Stockman, Alan C, 1997. "Short-Run Independence of Monetary Policy under Pegged Exchange Rates and Effects of Money on Exchange Rates and Interest Rates," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 29(4), pages 783-806, November.
- Alan C. Stockman & Lee E. Ohanian, 1993. "Short-Run Independence of Monetary Policy Under Pegged Exchange Rates and Effects of Money on Exchange Rates and Interest Rates," NBER Working Papers 4517, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Svensson, L.E.O., 1992.
"Why Exchange Rate Bands? Monetary Independence in Spite of Fixed Exchange Rates,"
521, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- E.O. Svensson, Lars, 1994. "Why exchange rate bands? : Monetary independence in spite of fixed exchange rates," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 157-199, February.
- Lars E.O. Svensson, 1992. "Why Exchange Rate Bands? Monetary Independence in Spite of Fixed Exchange Rates," NBER Working Papers 4207, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1992. "Why Exchange Rate Bands? Monetary Independence in Spite of Fixed Exchange Rates," CEPR Discussion Papers 742, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nadeem U. Haque & Kajal Lahiri & Peter J. Montiel, 1990. "A Macroeconometric Model for Developing Countries," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(3), pages 537-559, September.
- Daniel M. Laskar, 1983.
"Short-Run Independence of Monetary Policy under a Pegged Exchange-Rates System: An Econometric Approach,"
in: The International Transmission of Inflation, pages 314-348
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Laskar, Daniel M., 1982. "Short-run independence of monetary policy under a pegged-exchange-rates system: An econometric approach," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 57-79, January.
- Kouri, Pentti J K & Porter, Michael G, 1974. "International Capital Flows and Portfolio Equilibrium," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(3), pages 443-467, May/June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:v:35:y:2003:i:4:p:437-448. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.