Financial characteristics of Australian initial public offerings from 1994 to 1999
A variety of financial characteristics of Australian initial public offerings (IPOs) for the period 1994-1999 are explored. A number of previous Australian studies have investigated the initial day underpricing and longer term underperformance of IPOs and this study updates those papers. This paper partitions the IPO data into no liability/limited liability; share option/no share option; underwriter option/no underwriter option and dividend reinvestment/no dividend reinvestment characteristics to better understand the types of IPOs that list on the Australian Stock Exchange. The data supports the findings of previous studies in that IPOs are underpriced at the time of listing and underperform the market in the first year following their listing.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 35 (2003)
Issue (Month): 14 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Loughran, Tim & Ritter, Jay R. & Rydqvist, Kristian, 1994.
"Initial public offerings: International insights,"
Pacific-Basin Finance Journal,
Elsevier, vol. 2(2-3), pages 165-199, May.
- Lee, Philip J. & Taylor, Stephen L. & Walter, Terry S., 1996. "Australian IPO pricing in the short and long run," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(7), pages 1189-1210, August.
- Roni Michaely & Wayne H. Shaw, 1995. "Does the Choice of Auditor Convey Quality in an Initial Public Offering?," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 24(4), Winter.
- Roger G. Ibbotson & Jody L. Sindelar & Jay R Ritter, 1994. "The Market'S Problems With The Pricing Of Initial Public Offerings," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 7(1), pages 66-74.
- Jain, Bharat A., 1994. "The underpricing of 'unit' initial public offerings," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 309-325.
- Ibbotson, Roger G., 1975. "Price performance of common stock new issues," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 235-272, September.
- Dunbar, Craig G., 1995. "The use of warrants as underwriter compensation in initial public offerings," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 59-78, May.
- How, Janice C. Y. & Low, Joy G., 1993. "Fractional ownership and underpricing: signals of IPO firm value?," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 47-65, March.
- How, Janice C Y & Howe, John S, 2001. "Warrants in Initial Public Offerings: Empirical Evidence," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74(3), pages 433-457, July.
- Carter, Richard B & Manaster, Steven, 1990. " Initial Public Offerings and Underwriter Reputation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(4), pages 1045-1067, September.
- Koop, Gary & Li, Kai, 2001. "The valuation of IPO and SEO firms," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 375-401, September.
- Ritter, Jay R, 1991. " The Long-run Performance of Initial Public Offerings," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(1), pages 3-27, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:v:35:y:2003:i:14:p:1599-1607. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.