Utility-Based Valuation and Hedging of Basis Risk With Partial Information
We analyse the valuation and hedging of a claim on a non-traded asset using a correlated traded asset under a partial information scenario, when the asset drifts are unknown constants. Using a Kalman filter and a Gaussian prior distribution for the unknown parameters, a full information model with random drifts is obtained. This is subjected to exponential indifference valuation. An expression for the optimal hedging strategy is derived. An asymptotic expansion for small values of risk aversion is obtained via partial differentiation equation (PDE) methods, following on from payoff decompositions and a price representation equation. Analytic and semi-analytic formulae for the terms in the expansion are obtained when the minimal entropy measure coincides with the minimal martingale measure. Simulation experiments are carried out which indicate that the filtering procedure can be beneficial in hedging, but sometimes needs to be augmented with the increased option premium, which takes into account parameter uncertainty in order to be effective. Empirical examples are presented which conform to these conclusions.
Volume (Year): 17 (2010)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAMF20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAMF20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lakner, Peter, 1998. "Optimal trading strategy for an investor: the case of partial information," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 77-97, August.
- Freddy Delbaen & Peter Grandits & Thorsten Rheinländer & Dominick Samperi & Martin Schweizer & Christophe Stricker, 2002. "Exponential Hedging and Entropic Penalties," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(2), pages 99-123.
- Hardy Hulley & Thomas A. McWalter, 2015.
"Quadratic Hedging of Basis Risk,"
Journal of Risk and Financial Management,
MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 8(1), pages 83, February.
- Vicky Henderson, 2002. "Valuation Of Claims On Nontraded Assets Using Utility Maximization," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(4), pages 351-373.
- Michael Mania & Martin Schweizer, 2005. "Dynamic exponential utility indifference valuation," Papers math/0508489, arXiv.org.
- Kramkov, D. & Sîrbu, M., 2007. "Asymptotic analysis of utility-based hedging strategies for small number of contingent claims," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 117(11), pages 1606-1620, November.
- Brendle, Simon, 2006. "Portfolio selection under incomplete information," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 116(5), pages 701-723, May.
- Dufresne, Pierre Collin & Hugonnier, Julien, 2007. "Pricing and hedging in the presence of extraneous risks," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 117(6), pages 742-765, June.
- Michael Monoyios, 2004. "Performance of utility-based strategies for hedging basis risk," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(3), pages 245-255.
- L.C.G. Rogers, 2001. "The relaxed investor and parameter uncertainty," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 131-154.
- Marek Musiela & Thaleia Zariphopoulou, 2004. "An example of indifference prices under exponential preferences," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 229-239, 05.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apmtfi:v:17:y:2010:i:6:p:519-551. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.