Exponential Utility Maximization under Partial Information
We consider the exponential utility maximization problem under partial information. The underlying asset price process follows a continuous semimartingale and strategies have to be constructed when only part of the information in the market is available. We show that this problem is equivalent to a new exponential optimization problem, which is formulated in terms of observable processes. We prove that the value process of the reduced problem is the unique solution of a backward stochastic differential equation (BSDE), which characterizes the optimal strategy. We examine two particular cases of diffusion market models, for which an explicit solution has been provided. Finally, we study the issue of suffciency of partial information.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Corso Unione Sovietica, 218bis - 10134 Torino - Italy|
Phone: +39 011 6706060
Fax: +39 011 6706060
Web page: http://www.esomas.unito.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin Schweizer, 1994. "Risk-Minimizing Hedging Strategies Under Restricted Information," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(4), pages 327-342.
- David Hobson, 2004. "STOCHASTIC VOLATILITY MODELS, CORRELATION, AND THE "q"-OPTIMAL MEASURE," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(4), pages 537-556.
- Lakner, Peter, 1998. "Optimal trading strategy for an investor: the case of partial information," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 77-97, August.
- Vicky Henderson, 2002. "Valuation Of Claims On Nontraded Assets Using Utility Maximization," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(4), pages 351-373.
- Marek Musiela & Thaleia Zariphopoulou, 2004. "An example of indifference prices under exponential preferences," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 229-239, 05.
- Richard Rouge & Nicole El Karoui, 2000. "Pricing Via Utility Maximization and Entropy," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(2), pages 259-276.
- Freddy Delbaen & Peter Grandits & Thorsten Rheinländer & Dominick Samperi & Martin Schweizer & Christophe Stricker, 2002. "Exponential Hedging and Entropic Penalties," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(2), pages 99-123.
- Michael Monoyios, 2004. "Performance of utility-based strategies for hedging basis risk," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(3), pages 245-255.
- Marie-Amélie Morlais, 2009. "Quadratic BSDEs driven by a continuous martingale and applications to the utility maximization problem," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 121-150, January.
- Tevzadze, Revaz, 2008. "Solvability of backward stochastic differential equations with quadratic growth," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 118(3), pages 503-515, March.
- Henderson, Vicky & Hobson, David G., 2002. "Real options with constant relative risk aversion," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 329-355, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:icr:wpmath:24-2008. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simone Pellegrino)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.