Level-Slope-Curvature - Fact or Artefact?
The first three factors resulting from a principal components analysis of term structure data are, in the literature, typically interpreted as driving the level, slope and curvature of the term structure. Using slight generalizations of theorems from total positivity, we present sufficient conditions under which level, slope and curvature are present. These conditions have the nice interpretation of restricting the level, slope and curvature of the correlation surface. It is proven that the Schoenmakers-Coffey correlation matrix also brings along such factors. Finally, we formulate and corroborate a conjecture that the order present in correlation matrices cause slope.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 14 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAMF20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAMF20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carol Alexander & Dimitri Lvov, 2003. "Statistical Properties of Forward Libor Rates," ICMA Centre Discussion Papers in Finance icma-dp2003-03, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- Nelson, Charles R & Siegel, Andrew F, 1987. "Parsimonious Modeling of Yield Curves," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 60(4), pages 473-89, October.
- Lars E. O. Svensson, 1994.
"Estimating and Interpreting Forward Interest Rates; Sweden 1992-1994,"
IMF Working Papers
94/114, International Monetary Fund.
- Lars E.O. Svensson, 1994. "Estimating and Interpreting Forward Interest Rates: Sweden 1992 - 1994," NBER Working Papers 4871, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Svensson, L.E.O., 1994. "Estimating and Interpreting Foreward Interest Rates: Sweden 1992-1994," Papers 579, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Carlos Tolmasky & Dmitry Hindanov, 2002. "Principal components analysis for correlated curves and seasonal commodities: The case of the petroleum market," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(11), pages 1019-1035, November.
- P. Santa-Clara & D. Sornette, 1998.
"The Dynamics of the Forward Interest Rate Curve with Stochastic String Shocks,"
- Santa-Clara, Pedro & Sornette, Didier, 2001. "The Dynamics of the Forward Interest Rate Curve with Stochastic String Shocks," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 14(1), pages 149-85.
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1994. "Estimating and Interpreting Forward Interest Rates: Sweden 1992-4," CEPR Discussion Papers 1051, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Frank de Jong & Joost Driessen & Antoon Pelsser, 2004. "On the Information in the Interest Rate Term Structure and Option Prices," Review of Derivatives Research, Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 99-127, 08.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apmtfi:v:14:y:2007:i:2:p:105-130. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.