Firm resources and quality signalling: evidence from UK initial public offerings
This study examines the relative importance of financial structure, advisers' reputations, and managerial experience on the market value achieved by an initial public offering (IPO). A sample of 172 UK IPOs on the Official list of the London Stock Exchange during the period 1992-1996 indicates that the extent to which existing owners keep a stake in the business, and managerial expertise at board level, have a significant impact on the performance of the IPO. Advisers' reputations appear to be irrelevant. The findings are comparable to recent studies that cover a similar sample period.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 15 (2005)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAFE20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John M. Abowd & George T. Milkovich & John M. Hannon, 1989.
"The Effects of Human Resource Management Decisions on Shareholder Value,"
NBER Working Papers
3148, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John M. Abowd & George T. Milkovich & John M. Hannon, 1990. "The effects of human resource management decisions on shareholder value," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 43(3), pages 203-236, February.
- Susanne Espenlaub & Marc Goergen & Arif Khurshed, 2001. "PO Lock-in Agreements in the UK," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(9&10), pages 1235-1278.
- Bruce Johnson, W. & Magee, Robert P. & Nagarajan, Nandu J. & Newman, Harry A., 1985. "An analysis of the stock price reaction to sudden executive deaths : Implications for the managerial labor market," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1-3), pages 151-174, April.
- Rock, Kevin, 1986. "Why new issues are underpriced," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 187-212.
- Krinsky, I. & Rotenberg, W., 1989. "Signalling and the Valuation of Unseasoned New Issues Revisited," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(02), pages 257-266, June.
- Kim, Moonchul & Ritter, Jay R., 1999. "Valuing IPOs," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 409-437, September.
- Logue, Dennis E, et al, 2002. "What Is Special about the Roles of Underwriter Reputation and Market Activities in Initial Public Offerings?," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75(2), pages 213-43, April.
- Arif Khurshed & Ram Mudambi, 2002. "The short-run price performance of investment trust IPOs on the UK main market," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(10), pages 697-706.
- Amir, Eli & Lev, Baruch, 1996. "Value-relevance of nonfinancial information: The wireless communications industry," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1-3), pages 3-30, October.
- Beatty, Randolph P. & Bunsis, Howard & Hand, John R. M., 1998. "The indirect economic penalties in SEC investigations of underwriters," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 151-186, November.
- Carter, Richard B & Manaster, Steven, 1990. " Initial Public Offerings and Underwriter Reputation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(4), pages 1045-67, September.
- Michael Spence, 1973. "Job Market Signaling," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 87(3), pages 355-374.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "Using Least Squares to Approximate Unknown Regression Functions," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 21(1), pages 149-70, February.
- George A. Akerlof, 1970. "The Market for "Lemons": Quality Uncertainty and the Market Mechanism," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 84(3), pages 488-500.
- Kevin Keasey & Helen Short, 1997. "Equity retention and initial public offerings: the influence of signalling and entrenchment effects," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(1), pages 75-85.
- Steven N. Kaplan & Per Stromberg, 2000.
"Financial Contracting Theory Meets the Real World: An Empirical Analysis of Venture Capital Contracts,"
NBER Working Papers
7660, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven N. Kaplan & Per Strömberg, 2000. "Financial Contracting Theory Meets the Real World: An Empirical Analysis of Venture Capital Contracts," CRSP working papers 513, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Kaplan, Steven & Strömberg, Per Johan, 2000. "Financial Contracting Theory Meets The Real World: An Empirical Analysis Of Venture Capital Contracts," CEPR Discussion Papers 2421, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mak, Y. T. & Roush, M. L., 2000. "Factors Affecting the Characteristics of Boards of Directors: An Empirical Study of New Zealand Initial Public Offering Firms," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 147-159, February.
- Trueman, Brett, 1986. "The Relationship between the Level of Capital Expenditures and Firm Value," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(02), pages 115-129, June.
- Titman, Sheridan & Trueman, Brett, 1986. "Information quality and the valuation of new issues," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 159-172, June.
- Baron, David P, 1982. " A Model of the Demand for Investment Banking Advising and Distribution Services for New Issues," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 37(4), pages 955-76, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apfiec:v:15:y:2005:i:8:p:575-586. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.