A two-factor model of the German term structure of interest rates
This paper shows that a two-factor constant volatility model provides an adequate description of the dynamics and shape of the German term structure of interest rates from 1972 up to 1998. The model also provides reasonable estimates of the volatility and term premium curves. Following the conjecture that the two factors driving the German term structure of interest rates represent the ex-ante real interest rate and the expected inflation rate, the identification of one factor with expected inflation is discussed. The estimates are obtained using a Kalman filter and a maximum likelihood procedure including in the measurement equation both the yields and their volatilities.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 13 (2003)
Issue (Month): 11 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAFE20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schich, Sebastian T., 1996. "Alternative specifications of the German term structure and its information content regarding inflation," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 1996,08e, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- repec:bla:jfnres:v:22:y:1999:i:1:p:107-130 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ait-Sahalia, Yacine, 1996.
"Testing Continuous-Time Models of the Spot Interest Rate,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(2), pages 385-426.
- Yacine Ait-Sahalia, 1995. "Testing Continuous-Time Models of the Spot Interest Rate," NBER Working Papers 5346, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eli M. Remolona & Michael Wickens & Frank F. Gong, 1998.
"What was the market's view of U.K. monetary policy? Estimating inflation risk and expected inflation with indexed bonds,"
57, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Jacobs, Mike & Remolona, Eli & Wickens, Michael R., 1998. "What was the Market's View of UK Monetary Policy? Estimating Inflation Risk and Expected Inflation with Indexed Bonds," CEPR Discussion Papers 2022, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Frank F. Gong & Eli M. Remolona, 1996.
"Two factors along the yield curve,"
9613, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Gong, Fangxiong & Remolona, Eli M, 1997. "Two Factors along the Yield Curve," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 65(0), pages 1-31, Supplemen.
- David Backus & Silverio Foresi & Chris Telmer, 1998.
"Discrete-Time Models of Bond Pricing,"
NBER Working Papers
6736, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Backus, David & Foresi, Silverio & Mozumdar, Abon & Wu, Liuren, 2001.
"Predictable changes in yields and forward rates,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 281-311, March.
- Yash P. Mehra, 1997. "The bond rate and actual future inflation," Working Paper 97-03, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Robert R. Bliss, 1997. "Movements in the term structure of interest rates," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Q 4, pages 16-33.
- Frank F. Gong & Eli M. Remolona, 1997.
"A three-factor econometric model of the U.S. term structure,"
19, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Frank F. Gong & Eli M. Remolona, 1997. "A three-factor econometric model of the U.S. term structure," Research Paper 9619, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 1988.
"What Does the Term Structure Tell Us About Future Inflation?,"
NBER Working Papers
2626, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mishkin, Frederic S., 1990. "What does the term structure tell us about future inflation?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 77-95, January.
- Mishkin, F.S., 1988. "What Does The Term Structure Tell Us About Future Inflation?," Papers fb-_88-29, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Stefan Gerlach, 1995.
"The information content of the term structure: evidence for Germany,"
BIS Working Papers
29, Bank for International Settlements.
- Gerlach, Stefan, 1997. "The Information Content of the Term Structure: Evidence for Germany," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 161-79.
- Gerlach, Stefan, 1995. "The Information Content of the Term Structure: Evidence for Germany," CEPR Discussion Papers 1264, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 1990. "The Information in the Longer Maturity Term Structure about Future Inflation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 105(3), pages 815-828.
- Frank F. Gong & Eli M. Remolona, 1996. "Inflation risk in the U.S. yield curve: the usefulness of indexed bonds," Research Paper 9637, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Mishkin, Frederic S., 1991. "A multi-country study of the information in the shorter maturity term structure about future inflation," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 2-22, March.
- Philippe Jorion & Frederic Mishkin, 1991.
"A Multi-Country Comparison of Term Structure Forecasts at Long Horizons,"
NBER Working Papers
3574, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jorion, Philippe & Mishkin, Frederic, 1991. "A multicountry comparison of term-structure forecasts at long horizons," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 59-80, March.
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "A Theory of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 385-407, March.
- Geyer, Alois L J & Pichler, Stefan, 1999.
"A State-Space Approach to Estimate and Test Multifactor Cox-Ingersoll-Ross Models of the Term Structure,"
Journal of Financial Research,
Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 22(1), pages 107-30, Spring.
- Michael J. Fleming & Eli M. Remolona, 1999.
"The term structure of announcement effects,"
76, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 1989. "A Multi-Country Study of the Information in the Term Structure about Future Inflation," NBER Working Papers 3125, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Koedijk, Kees G & Kool, Clemens J M, 1995. "Future Inflation and the Information in International Term Structures," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 217-42.
- Ross, Stephen A., 1976. "The arbitrage theory of capital asset pricing," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 341-360, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apfiec:v:13:y:2003:i:11:p:783-806. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.