Hysteresis and non-linearities in unemployment rates
This study tests whether there is evidence of mean reversion in unemployment rates using the recently developed unit root test of Kapetanios et al. (2003). In this framework, the null hypothesis of a unit root process is tested against the alternative of a globally stationary exponential smooth transition autoregressive process. Applying the test to monthly data for Australia, Canada, Finland, Sweden and the USA, it is concluded that unemployment hysteresis finds less support when non-linearities are allowed for compared to the benchmark of using a standard Augmented Dickey-Fuller test.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 13 (2006)
Issue (Month): 9 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEL20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ana María Iregui & Jesús Otero, 2002.
"On The Dynamics Of Unemployment In A Developing Economy: Colombia,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
003298, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Ana Maria Iregui & Jesus Otero, 2003. "On the dynamics of unemployment in a developing economy: Colombia," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(14), pages 895-898.
- Ana María Iregui & Jesús Otero, . "On the Dynamics of Unemployment in a Developing Economy: Colombia," Borradores de Economia 208, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Javid Taheri, 2000. "On the alternative explanations of persistence of unemployment in the OECD countries," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(8), pages 1051-1057.
- Ossama Mikhail & Curtis Eberwein & Jagdish Handa, 2005.
"On the evidence of non-linear structure in Canadian unemployment,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(2), pages 101-104.
- Ossama Mikhail & Curtis J. Eberwein & Jagdish Handa, 2003. "On the Evidence of Non-Linear Structure in Canadian Unemployment," Macroeconomics 0311003, EconWPA.
- Michael, Panos & Nobay, A Robert & Peel, David A, 1997.
"Transactions Costs and Nonlinear Adjustment in Real Exchange Rates: An Empirical Investigation,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(4), pages 862-79, August.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Michael-Nobay-Peel ESTAR models," Statistical Software Components RTZ00113, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Miguel A. León-Ledesma & Peter McAdam, 2004.
"Unemployment, Hysteresis And Transition,"
Scottish Journal of Political Economy,
Scottish Economic Society, vol. 51(3), pages 377-401, 08.
- Leon-Ledesma, Miguel & Peter McAdam, 2003. "Unemployment, Hysterisis and Transition," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003 137, Royal Economic Society.
- McAdam, Peter & León-Ledesma, Miguel A., 2003. "Unemployment, hysteresis and transition," Working Paper Series 0234, European Central Bank.
- Christopher A. Pissarides, 1992. "Loss of Skill During Unemployment and the Persistence of Employment Shocks," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 107(4), pages 1371-1391.
- Granger, Clive W.J. & Teräsvirta, Timo, 1998.
"A simple nonlinear time series model with misleading linear properties,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
237, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Granger, Clive W. J. & Terasvirta, Timo, 1999. "A simple nonlinear time series model with misleading linear properties," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 161-165, February.
- George A. Akerlof, 1980.
"A Theory of Social Custom, of which Unemployment may be One Consequence,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 94(4), pages 749-775.
- George A. Akerlof, 1978. "A theory of social custom, of which unemployment may be one consequence," Special Studies Papers 118, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Olivier J. Blanchard & Lawrence H. Summers, 1986.
"Hysteresis and the European Unemployment Problem,"
NBER Working Papers
1950, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- In Choi & Bhum Suk Chung, 1995. "Sampling frequency and the power of tests for a unit root: A simulation study," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 131-136, August.
- Josep Lluis Carrion Silvestre & Tomas del Barrio Castro & Enrique Lopez Bazo, 2002.
"Level shifts in a panel data based unit root test. An application to the rate of unemployment,"
Working Papers in Economics
79, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Josep Lluís Carrion-i-Silvestre & Tomás del Barrio-Castro & Enrique López-Bazo, 2002. "Level shifts in a panel data based unit root test. An application to the rate of unemployment," 10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002 C5-2, International Conferences on Panel Data.
- Bengt Assarsson & Per Jansson, 1998. "Unemployment persistence: the case of Sweden," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(1), pages 25-29.
- Roed, Knut, 1997. " Hysteresis in Unemployment," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(4), pages 389-418, December.
- Russell Smyth, 2003. "Unemployment Hysteresis in Australian States and Territories: Evidence from Panel Data Unit Root Tests," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 36(2), pages 181-192.
- Andrew Clark, 2001.
"Unemployment As A Social Norm: Psychological Evidence from Panel Data,"
DELTA Working Papers
2001-17, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Andrew E. Clark, 2003. "Unemployment as a Social Norm: Psychological Evidence from Panel Data," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(2), pages 289-322, April.
- Kapetanios, George & Shin, Yongcheol & Snell, Andy, 2003. "Testing for a unit root in the nonlinear STAR framework," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 359-379, February.
- Sercu, Piet & Uppal, Raman & Van Hulle, Cynthia, 1995. " The Exchange Rate in the Presence of Transaction Costs: Implications for Tests of Purchasing Power Parity," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(4), pages 1309-19, September.
- Jacobson, Tor & Vredin, Anders & Warne, Anders, 1997. "Common trends and hysteresis in Scandinavian unemployment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(9), pages 1781-1816, December.
- Koustas, Z. & Veloce, W., 1994. "Unemployment Hysteresis in Canada: An Approach Based on Long-Memory Time Series Models," Working Papers 1994-5, Brock University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apeclt:v:13:y:2006:i:9:p:545-548. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.