Testing For Nonlinearity In G7 Macroeconomic Time Series
In this study, we test the linearity of G7 macroeconomic time series over the period 1959Q1-1999Q4. The stationarity properties of this dataset was before tested by Aksoy and Ledesma (2008) employing unit root tests which are based on linear and nonlinear models. Aksoy and Ledesma (2008) concluded that the variables have uncertain order of integration. Therefore, by employing a recently introduced linearity test of Harvey et al. (2008), which is a powerful test even the order of integration is not certain, we test the linearity of this dataset to determine which kind of unit root test should have been used. We also show that more than half of the series are nonlinear which indicates the importance of testing the nonlinearity of macroeconomic time series.
Volume (Year): (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Casa Academiei, Calea 13, Septembrie nr.13, sector 5, Bucureşti 761172|
Phone: 004 021 3188148
Fax: 004 021 3188148
Web page: http://www.ipe.ro/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Venus Khim-sen Liew & Ahmad Zubaidi Baharumshah & Terence Tai-leung Chong, 2003.
"Are Asian Real Exchange Rates Stationary?,"
0307002, EconWPA, revised 01 Nov 2004.
- Huseyin Kalyoncu, 2009. "New evidence of the validity of purchasing power parity from Turkey," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(1), pages 63-67.
- Michael P. Clements & Philip Hans Franses & Norman R. Swanson, 2003.
"Forecasting economic and financial time-series with non-linear models,"
Departmental Working Papers
200309, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Clements, Michael P. & Franses, Philip Hans & Swanson, Norman R., 2004. "Forecasting economic and financial time-series with non-linear models," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 169-183.
- Magnus Gustavsson & Pär Österholm, 2007.
"Does Unemployment Hysteresis Equal Employment Hysteresis?,"
The Economic Record,
The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 83(261), pages 159-173, 06.
- Gustavsson, Magnus & Österholm, Pär, 2006. "Does Unemployment Hysteresis Equal Employment Hysteresis?," Working Paper Series 2006:15, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Christopher Brooks & Melvin Hinich, 1998. "Episodic nonstationarity in exchange rates," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(11), pages 719-722.
- Su Zhou, 2011. "Nonlinear stationarity of real interest rates in the EMU countries," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 38(6), pages 691-702, November.
- Harvey David I & Leybourne Stephen J & Xiao Bin, 2008. "A Powerful Test for Linearity When the Order of Integration is Unknown," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 12(3), pages 1-24, September.
- Yunus Aksoy & Miguel A. Leon-Ledesma, 2007.
"Non-linearities and Unit Roots in G7 Macroeconomic Variables,"
Birkbeck Working Papers in Economics and Finance
0710, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
- Aksoy Yunus & Leon-Ledesma Miguel A., 2008. "Non-Linearities and Unit Roots in G7 Macroeconomic Variables," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 8(1), pages 1-44, February.
- Franses,Philip Hans & Dijk,Dick van, 2000.
"Non-Linear Time Series Models in Empirical Finance,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521779654, june. pag.
- Franses,Philip Hans & Dijk,Dick van, 2000. "Non-Linear Time Series Models in Empirical Finance," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521770415, june. pag.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1998. "A Comparison of Linear and Nonlinear Univariate Models for Forecasting Macroeconomic Time Series," NBER Working Papers 6607, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gawon Yoon, 2010. "Nonlinearity in real exchange rates: an approach with disaggregated data and a new linearity test," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(11), pages 1125-1132.
- Reitz, Stefan & Slopek, Ulf Dieter, 2008.
"Nonlinear oil price dynamics: a tale of heterogeneous speculators?,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2008,10, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Stefan Reitz & Ulf Slopek, 2009. "Non-Linear Oil Price Dynamics: A Tale of Heterogeneous Speculators?," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 10, pages 270-283, 08.
- Tsangyao Chang, 2012. "Nonlinear adjustment to purchasing power parity in China," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(9), pages 843-848, June.
- Harris, David & McCabe, Brendan & Leybourne, Stephen, 2003. "Some Limit Theory For Autocovariances Whose Order Depends On Sample Size," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(05), pages 829-864, October.
- Rafael Romero-Meza & Claudio Bonilla & Melvin Hinich, 2007. "Nonlinear event detection in the Chilean stock market," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(13), pages 987-991.
- Craigwell, Roland & Mathouraparsad, Sebastien & Maurin, Alain, 2011. "Unemployment hysteresis in the English-speaking Caribbean: evidence from non-linear models," MPRA Paper 33440, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Magnus Gustavsson & Par Osterholm, 2006. "Hysteresis and non-linearities in unemployment rates," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(9), pages 545-548.
- Gawon Yoon, 2010. "Nonlinearity in US macroeconomic time series," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(16), pages 1601-1609.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rjr:romjef:v::y:2012:i:3:p:69-79. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Corina Saman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.