A powerful test for linearity when the order of integration is unknown [Revised to become No. 07/06 above]
In this paper we propose a test of the null hypothesis of time series linearity against a nonlinear alternative, when uncertainty exists as to whether or not the series contains a unit root. We provide a test statistic that has the same limiting null critical values regardless of whether the series under consideration is generated from a linear I(0) or linear I(1) process, and is consistent against nonlinearity of either form, being asymptotically equivalent to the efficient test in each case. Finite sample simulations show that the new procedure has good size control and offers substantial power gains over the recently proposed robust linearity test of Harvey and Leybourne (2007).
|Date of creation:||Oct 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: School of Economics University of Nottingham University Park Nottingham NG7 2RD|
Phone: (44) 0115 951 5620
Fax: (0115) 951 4159
Web page: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/research/groups/grangercentre/index.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kapetanios, George & Shin, Yongcheol & Snell, Andy, 2003. "Testing for a unit root in the nonlinear STAR framework," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 359-379, February.
- Ang, Andrew & Bekaert, Geert, 2002. "Short rate nonlinearities and regime switches," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(7-8), pages 1243-1274, July.
- Gray, Stephen F., 1996.
"Modeling the conditional distribution of interest rates as a regime-switching process,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 27-62, September.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS programs to replicate Gray's 1996 Regime Switching GARCH paper," Statistical Software Components RTZ00080, Boston College Department of Economics.
- David I. Harvey & Stephen J. Leybourne, 2007. "Testing for time series linearity," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 10(1), pages 149-165, 03.
- Ang, Andrew & Bekaert, Geert, 2002. "Regime Switches in Interest Rates," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(2), pages 163-182, April.
- Andrew Ang & Geert Bekaert, 1998. "Regime Switches in Interest Rates," NBER Working Papers 6508, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Harris, David & McCabe, Brendan & Leybourne, Stephen, 2003. "Some Limit Theory For Autocovariances Whose Order Depends On Sample Size," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(05), pages 829-864, October.
- Harris, David & Leybourne, Stephen & McCabe, Brendan, 2005. "Panel Stationarity Tests for Purchasing Power Parity With Cross-Sectional Dependence," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 23, pages 395-409, October.
- Dirk Te Velde, 2001. "Balance of payments prospects in EMU," NIESR Discussion Papers 178, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Hamilton, James D., 1988. "Rational-expectations econometric analysis of changes in regime : An investigation of the term structure of interest rates," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 385-423.
- Barkoulas, John T. & Baum, Christopher F. & Onochie, Joseph, 1997. "A nonparametric investigation of the 90-day t-bill rate," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 187-198.
- Audrino, Francesco, 2006. "Tree-Structured Multiple Regimes in Interest Rates," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 24, pages 338-353, July.
- West, Kenneth D, 1988. "Asymptotic Normality, When Regressors Have a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(6), pages 1397-1417, November.
- Timothy J. Vogelsang, 1998. "Trend Function Hypothesis Testing in the Presence of Serial Correlation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(1), pages 123-148, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:not:notgts:07/01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.