What a difference a source makes! An analysis of export data
This study examines real export data from two common sources: IMF and UN Commodity Trade Statistics to determine the comparability of these data in level and percentage change form, and if the export-led growth models are robust to the data source. Additionally, the comparability of the data deflated at a disaggregated level data or by a single export unit price index is examined. The results reveal that the data are neither comparable nor in a number of cases, correlated, suggesting that much of the debate regarding export led growth is fuelled by data choice and methodology of deflation.
Volume (Year): 13 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEL20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aamer Abu-Qarn & Suleiman Abu-Bader, 2001.
"The Validity of the ELG Hypothesis in the MENA Region: Cointegration and Error Correction Model Analysis,"
134, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Department of Economics.
- Aamer Abu-Qarn & Suleiman Abu-Bader, 2004. "The validity of the ELG hypothesis in the MENA region: cointegration and error correction model analysis," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(15), pages 1685-1695.
- Abu-Qarn, Aamer & Abu-Bader, Suleiman, 2001. "The Validity of the ELG Hypothesis in the MENA Region: Cointegration and Error Correction Model Analysis," MPRA Paper 1116, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bassam Abual-Foul, 2004. "Testing the export-led growth hypothesis: evidence from Jordan," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(6), pages 393-396.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen & Mohtadi, Hamid & Shabsigh, Ghiath, 1991. "Exports, growth and causality in LDCs : A re-examination," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 405-415, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apeclt:v:13:y:2006:i:1:p:35-39. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.