The performance of the Markov-switching model on business cycle identification revisited
This study examines the performance of Markov-switching model on business cycle by applying the model to various economies. Specifically, three comparison groups are used: (1) the USA and Japan serving as the representatives for the industrialized economies (or IEs hereafter); (2) Taiwan and South Korea serving as the representatives for newly industrialized economies (or NIEs hereafter); and (3) Malaysia and Indonesia serving as the representatives for the developing economies (or DEs hereafter). The empirical results are consistent with the following notions. First, the Markov-switching model serves well to depict the business cycles for IEs and DEs. Nevertheless, the model is ineffective for the two NIEs, which underwent structural economic shifts to slower growth during our sample period of 1970-1998. Second, the two-period Markov-switching by dividing the sample periods into two sub-periods thus more effectively measures the two NIEs' business cycles.
Volume (Year): 12 (2005)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEL20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hamilton, James D, 1989. "A New Approach to the Economic Analysis of Nonstationary Time Series and the Business Cycle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 357-84, March.
- Kim, C-J., 1991.
"Dynamic Linear Models with Markov-Switching,"
91-8, York (Canada) - Department of Economics.
- Luca Stanca, 1999. "Asymmetries and nonlinearities in Italian macroeconomic fluctuations," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(4), pages 483-491.
- Krolzig, Hans-Martin, 2001.
"Business cycle measurement in the presence of structural change: international evidence,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 349-368.
- Hans-Martin Krolzig, 2000. "Business Cycle Measurement in the Presence of Structural Change: International Evidence," Economics Series Working Papers 2000-W33, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Filardo, Andrew J, 1994.
"Business-Cycle Phases and Their Transitional Dynamics,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 12(3), pages 299-308, July.
- Andrew J. Filardo, 1993. "Business cycle phases and their transitional dynamics," Research Working Paper 93-14, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Filardo JBES 1994 paper with time-varying Markov switching," Statistical Software Components RTZ00059, Boston College Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apeclt:v:12:y:2005:i:8:p:513-520. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.