Modelling food consumption patterns in Greece
Modelling consumption patterns is of interest for both theoretical and policy reasons. This paper presents a methodology for modelling consumption patterns combining a theory-based with a data-based approach and it continues with an application to Greek data. The adopted AIDS-ECM quantitative methodology aims to estimate the expected trends in consumption patterns in Greece following an increase in available income over the 2001-2010 period. Three scenarios are examined: the first scenario considers the EU projections for private consumption expenditure, 3% per annum, the second scenario assumes a higher growth of 5% per annum and the third scenario a 1% increase. The results of the first stage expenditure aggregation show a decrease in the budget share for the food group in all scenarios under consideration while the opposite is true for 'transportation and communication' and 'others'. Finally, the second stage expenditure aggregation estimates show an increase in the budget share for meat, fruits and vegetables and oils and fats, while the opposite is true for bread and cereals and other food.
Volume (Year): 11 (2004)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEL20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Attfield, Clifford L. F., 1985. "Homogeneity and endogeneity in systems of demand equations," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 197-209, February.
- Jeroen J.M. Kremers & Neil R. Ericsson & Juan J. Dolado, 1992.
"The power of cointegration tests,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
431, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Balcombe, Kelvin George & Davis, J.R., 1996.
"An application of cointegration theory in the estimation of the Almost Ideal Demand system for food consumption in Bulgaria,"
Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 15(1), September.
- Balcombe, K. G. & Davis, J. R., 1996. "An application of cointegration theory in the estimation of the almost ideal demand system for food consumption in Bulgaria," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 15(1), pages 47-60, September.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Phillips, P C B, 1987.
"Time Series Regression with a Unit Root,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 277-301, March.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1985. "Time Series Regression with a Unit Root," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 740R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Feb 1986.
- Tom Doan, . "PPUNIT: RATS procedure to perform Phillips-Perron Unit Root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00160, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Banerjee, Anindya, et al, 1986. "Exploring Equilibrium Relationships in Econometrics through Static Models: Some Monte Carlo Evidence," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 48(3), pages 253-77, August.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apeclt:v:11:y:2004:i:8:p:507-512. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.