A smooth transition regression equation of the demand for UK M0
The econometric analysis of UK M0 has, so far, been confined to linear models. Using quarterly data over the period 1970:4-1997:2 in a single-equation money demand system, this article shows that a linear error-correction equation of the demand for UK M0 contains significant non-linearity and parameter non-constancy of smooth transition regression (STR) type. A constant-parameter exponential STR (ESTR) equation is then estimated, suggesting that interest rate changes have been an important factor in explaining fluctuations in the demand for UK M0.
Volume (Year): 10 (2003)
Issue (Month): 12 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEL20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Artis, M J & Lewis, M K, 1984. "How Unstable Is the Demand for Money in the United Kingdom?," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 51(204), pages 473-476, November.
- Lutkepohl, Helmut & Terasvirta, Timo & Wolters, Jurgen, 1999.
"Investigating Stability and Linearity of a German M1 Money Demand Function,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(5), pages 511-525, Sept.-Oct.
- H. Lütkepohl & T. Teräsvirta & J. Wolters, 1995. "Investigating Stability and Linearity of a German M1 Money Demand Function," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1995,57, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Lütkepohl, Helmut & Teräsvirta, Timo & Wolters, Jürgen, 1995. "Investigating Stability and Linearity of a German M1 Money Demand Function," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 64, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Eitrheim, Oyvind & Terasvirta, Timo, 1996. "Testing the adequacy of smooth transition autoregressive models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 59-75, September.
- Eitrheim, Øyvind & Teräsvirta, Timo, 1995. "Testing the Adequacy of Smooth Transition Autoregressive Models," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 56, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015. "Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-276, March.
- Khadaroo, Ahmad Jameel, 2000. "Testing Restrictions on Cointegrating Vectors: A Comment," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 695-705, October.
- Lin, Chien-Fu Jeff & Terasvirta, Timo, 1994. "Testing the constancy of regression parameters against continuous structural change," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 211-228, June.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Johansen, Søren & Juselius, Katarina, 1992. "Testing structural hypotheses in a multivariate cointegration analysis of the PPP and the UIP for UK," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1-3), pages 211-244. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)