Investing in customer loyalty: the moderating role of relational characteristics
The purpose of this study is to explore the linkages between relationship investment, relationship quality, and loyalty, as well as the moderating role of relational characteristics of age (length of relationship), density (number of unique relational ties), and dependence (extent of dependence on relationship partnership). Based on the interpersonal perspective, this study extends previous research by incorporating relational characteristics in understanding the effects of relationship investment strategies on loyalty. Responses collected from 381 actual retail banking customers were analyzed using structural equation modeling and hierarchical regression analysis. The results show that in forming customer loyalty, relationship investments, satisfaction, and commitment play a critical role. However, it was found that these relationships are moderated by the relational characteristics. Specifically, the effect of relationship satisfaction on loyalty decreases as the length of the relationship increases. On the contrary, a positive satisfaction and loyalty relationship was observed for high density users. These findings help managers in developing and implementing relationship investment strategies that enhance customer loyalty. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2015
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 9 (2015)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Web page: http://www.panpacificbusiness.org/
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/business/journal/11628|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kevin Zheng Zhou & Laura Poppo & Zhilin Yang, 2008. "Relational ties or customized contracts? An examination of alternative governance choices in China," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 39(3), pages 526-534, April.
- Hamparsum Bozdogan, 1987. "Model selection and Akaike's Information Criterion (AIC): The general theory and its analytical extensions," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 345-370, September.
- Sridhar Balasubramanian & Prabhudev Konana & Nirup M. Menon, 2003. "Customer Satisfaction in Virtual Environments: A Study of Online Investing," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(7), pages 871-889, July.
- R. Chumpitaz & N. Paparoidamis, 2007. "Service quality, relationship satisfaction, trust, commitment, and business-to-business loyalty," Post-Print hal-00199063, HAL.
- Lai, Fujun & Griffin, Mitch & Babin, Barry J., 2009. "How quality, value, image, and satisfaction create loyalty at a Chinese telecom," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(10), pages 980-986, October.
- Won-Moo Hur & Hyun Kim & Hanna Kim, 2013. "Investigation of the relationship between service values and loyalty behaviors under high commitment," Service Business, Springer;Pan-Pacific Business Association, vol. 7(1), pages 103-119, March.
- Karjaluoto, Heikki & Jayawardhena, Chanaka & Leppäniemi, Matti & Pihlström, Minna, 2012. "How value and trust influence loyalty in wireless telecommunications industry," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 636-649.
- Bartikowski, Boris & Walsh, Gianfranco & Beatty, Sharon E., 2011. "Culture and age as moderators in the corporate reputation and loyalty relationship," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(9), pages 966-972, September.
- Zhao, Tianshu & Casu, Barbara & Ferrari, Alessandra, 2010. "The impact of regulatory reforms on cost structure, ownership and competition in Indian banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 246-254, January.
- Gronroos, Christian, 1990. "Relationship approach to marketing in service contexts: The marketing and organizational behavior interface," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 3-11, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:svcbiz:v:9:y:2015:i:1:p:17-40. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.