Development of a technological competition model in the presence of network effects from the modified law of Metcalfe
The objective of this paper is to propose a new model of competence in presence of network effects. We will introduce some modifications in the Lotka-Volterra model, in order to solve its deficiencies. The main improvement is to introduce a modification of Metcalfe’s Law, what allow us to reflect the effect of congestion externalities. The model’s validation, developed by numerical simulation, confirms that its behaviour is quite similar to that observed in real markets. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2008
Volume (Year): 2 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Web page: http://www.panpacificbusiness.org/
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/business/journal/11628|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nicholas Economides, 1997.
"The Economics of Networks,"
- Economides, Nicholas, 1996. "The economics of networks," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 673-699, October.
- Nicholas Economides, 1997. "The Economics of Networks," Brazilian Electronic Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, vol. 1(0), December.
- Katz, Michael L & Shapiro, Carl, 1992. "Product Introduction with Network Externalities," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(1), pages 55-83, March.
- Shmuel S. Oren & Stephen A. Smith & Robert B. Wilson, 1982. "Nonlinear Pricing in Markets with Interdependent Demand," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 1(3), pages 287-313.
- Katz, Michael L & Shapiro, Carl, 1986. "Technology Adoption in the Presence of Network Externalities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(4), pages 822-841, August.
- Christoph H. Loch & Bernardo A. Huberman, 1999. "A Punctuated-Equilibrium Model of Technology Diffusion," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(2), pages 160-177, February.
- Jinhong Xie & Marvin Sirbu, 1995. "Price Competition and Compatibility in the Presence of Positive Demand Externalities," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(5), pages 909-926, May.
- Stanley M. Besen & Joseph Farrell, 1994. "Choosing How to Compete: Strategies and Tactics in Standardization," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(2), pages 117-131, Spring.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:svcbiz:v:2:y:2008:i:2:p:83-98. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.