Allocation problems with indivisibilities when preferences are single-peaked
We consider allocation problems with indivisible goods when agents’ preferences are single-peaked. Two natural procedures (up methods and temporary satisfaction methods) are proposed to solve these problems. They are constructed by using priority methods on the cartesian product of agents and integer numbers, interpreted either as peaks or opposite peaks. Thus, two families of solutions arise this way. Our two families of solutions satisfy properties very much related to some well-known properties studied in the case of perfectly divisible goods, and they have a strong relationship with the continuous uniform and equal-distance rules, respectively.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 2 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Postal:Universidad del País Vasco; DFAE II; Avenida Lehendakari Aguirre, 83; 48015 Bilbao; Spain
Phone: +34 94 6013783
Fax: + 34 94 6013774
Web page: http://www.asesec.org/index.php?idioma=en
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/13209|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thomson William, 1994. "Consistent Solutions to the Problem of Fair Division When Preferences Are Single-Peaked," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 219-245, August.
- HERRERO, Carmen & MARTINEZ, Ricardo, 2006.
"Balanced allocation methods for claims problems with indivisibilities,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2006066, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Carmen Herrero & Ricardo Martínez, 2008. "Balanced allocation methods for claims problems with indivisibilities," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 30(4), pages 603-617, May.
- Thomson, W., 1991. "Resource-Monotonic Solutions to the Problem of Fair Divosion when Preferences are Single-Peaked ," RCER Working Papers 301, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Youngsub Chun, 1999. "Equivalence of axioms for bankruptcy problems," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer;Game Theory Society, vol. 28(4), pages 511-520.
- Thomson, William, 1997. "The Replacement Principle in Economies with Single-Peaked Preferences," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 145-168, September.
- Sonmez, Tayfun, 1994. "Consistency, monotonicity, and the uniform rule," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 229-235, November.
- William Thomson, 2011.
"Consistency and its converse: an introduction,"
Review of Economic Design,
Springer;Society for Economic Design, vol. 15(4), pages 257-291, December.
- Sprumont, Yves, 1991. "The Division Problem with Single-Peaked Preferences: A Characterization of the Uniform Allocation Rule," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 509-19, March.
- Youngsub Chun, 1999. "Equivalence of Axioms for Bankruptcy Problems," Working Paper Series no1, Institute of Economic Research, Seoul National University.
- Barbera, Salvador & Jackson, Matthew O. & Neme, Alejandro, 1997.
"Strategy-Proof Allotment Rules,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 1-21, January.
- Dagan, Nir, 1996.
"A Note on Thomson's Characterizations of the Uniform Rule,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 255-261, April.
- Nir Dagan, 1996. "A Note on Thomson's Characterizations of the Uniform Rule," Economic theory and game theory 003, Nir Dagan.
- Carmen Herrero, 2002. "General allocation problems with single-peaked preferences: path-independence and related topics," Spanish Economic Review, Springer;Spanish Economic Association, vol. 4(1), pages 19-40.
- Carmen Herrero Blanco & Ricardo Martínez, 2004. "Egalitarian Rules In Claims Problems With Indivisible Goods," Working Papers. Serie AD 2004-20, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:series:v:2:y:2011:i:4:p:453-467. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.