Incomplete regulation, market competition and collusion
Regulators often do not regulate all firms competing in a given sector. Due to productsubstitutability, unregulated competitors have incentives to bribe regulated firms to have themoverstate their costs and produce less. The best collusion-proof contract entails distortions bothfor inefficient and efficient regulated firms (distortion ‘at the top’). But a contract inducingactive collusion may do better by allowing the regulator to ‘team up’ with the regulated firmto indirectly tax its competitor. The best such contract is characterized. It is such that theunregulated firm pays the regulated one to have it truthfully reveals its inefficiency.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 10 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/10058/index.htm|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Jacques Laffont & David Martimort, 2000.
"Mechanism Design with Collusion and Correlation,"
Econometric Society, vol. 68(2), pages 309-342, March.
- Lucia Quesada, 2005. "Collusion as an Informed Principal Problem," Game Theory and Information 0504002, EconWPA.
- Gary Biglaiser & Ching-to Albert Ma, 1995. "Regulating a Dominant Firm: Unknown Demand and Industry Structure," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 26(1), pages 1-19, Spring.
- Caillaud, Bernard, 1990. "Regulation, competition, and asymmetric information," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 87-110, October.
- Green, Jerry & Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 1977. "Characterization of Satisfactory Mechanisms for the Revelation of Preferences for Public Goods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(2), pages 427-38, March.
- repec:ema:worpap:2003-09 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:reecde:v:10:y:2006:i:2:p:113-142. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.