Accounting foundations for interregional commodity-by-industry input-output models
Several procedures for generating interregional commodity flow matrices have been developed in the U.S. in recent years (see, e.g., Canning and Wang in J. Reg. Sci. 45, 539–563, 2005, Jackson et al. in Ann. Reg. Sci. 40, 909–920, 2006, Lindall et al. in J. Reg. Anal. Policy 36, 76–83, 2006). Despite the fact that these methods derive from the commodity-by-industry framework, very little attention has been given recently to the fundamental conceptual issues that must be confronted to generate a consistently defined interregional model or to conduct an interregional impacts assessment using an appropriate interregional framework. This paper revives the focus on interregional modeling issues initiated by Oosterhaven in Reg. Sci. Urban Econ. 14, 562–582 (1984), identifies and elaborates on these and additional issues, and traces the development of the accounting foundations from single-region inter-industry through interregional commodity-by-industry accounts. Its contribution lies in the provision of a high-level perspective on these frameworks that in the process both clarifies and simplifies key conceptual issues and operational decisions.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 4 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com/|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/12076|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Randall Jackson & Walter Schwarm & Yasuhide Okuyama & Samia Islam, 2006.
"A method for constructing commodity by industry flow matrices,"
The Annals of Regional Science,
Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 40(4), pages 909-920, December.
- Randall Jackson & Walter Schwarm & Yasuhide Okuyama & Samia Islam, 2004. "Method for Constructing Commodity by Industry Flow Matrices," Working Papers Working Paper 2004-05, Regional Research Institute, West Virginia University.
- Robinson, Dennis P. & Liu, Zuoming, 2006. "The Effects of Interregional Trade Flow Estimating Procedures on Multiregional Social Accounting Matrix Multipliers," Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 36(1).
- Louis de Mesnard, 2004.
"Understanding the Shortcomings of Commodity-based Technology in Input-Output Models: an Economic-Circuit Approach,"
Journal of Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(1), pages 125-141.
- Louis De Mesnard, 2004. "Understanding the shortcomings of commodity-based technology in input-output models: an economic-circuit approach," Post-Print halshs-00068417, HAL.
- Oosterhaven, Jan, 1984. "A family of square and rectangular interregional input-output tables and models," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 565-582, November.
- Schwarm, Walter R. & Jackson, Randall W. & Okuyama, Yasuhide, 2006. "An Evaluation of Method for Constructing Commodity by Industry Flow Matrices," Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 36(1).
- Michael Lahr, 2001. "Reconciling Domestication Techniques, the Notion of Re-exports and Some Comments on Regional Accounting," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(2), pages 165-179.
- Patrick Canning & Zhi Wang, 2005. "A Flexible Mathematical Programming Model to Estimate Interregional Input-Output Accounts," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(3), pages 539-563.
- Lindall, Scott A. & Olson, Douglas C. & Alward, Gregory S., 2006. "Deriving Multi-Regional Models Using the IMPLAN National Trade Flows Model," Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 36(1).
- Randall Jackson, 1998. "Regionalizing National Commodity-by-Industry Accounts," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(3), pages 223-238.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:lsprsc:v:4:y:2011:i:3:p:187-196. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.