What belongs where? Variable selection for zero-inflated count models with an application to the demand for health care
This paper develops a Bayesian spike and slab model for zero-inflated count models which are commonly used in health economics. We account for model uncertainty and allow for model averaging in situations with many potential regressors. The proposed techniques are applied to a German data set analyzing the demand for health care. An accompanying package for the free statistical software environment R is provided. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2013
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 28 (2013)
Issue (Month): 5 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/statistics/journal/180/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Markus Jochmann & Roberto León-González, 2004.
"Estimating the demand for health care with panel data: a semiparametric Bayesian approach,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(10), pages 1003-1014.
- Markus Jochmann & Roberto Leon-Gonzalez, 2003. "Estimating the Demand for Health Care with Panel Data: A Semiparametric Bayesian Approach," Working Papers 2003005, The University of Sheffield, Department of Economics, revised Oct 2003.
- Geweke, John & Keane, Michael, 2007. "Smoothly mixing regressions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 138(1), pages 252-290, May.
- Mullahy, John, 1986. "Specification and testing of some modified count data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 341-365, December.
- Gert G. Wagner & Joachim R. Frick & Jürgen Schupp, 2007. "The German Socio-Economic Panel Study (SOEP) – Scope, Evolution and Enhancements," Schmollers Jahrbuch : Journal of Applied Social Science Studies / Zeitschrift für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 127(1), pages 139-169.
- Gert G. Wagner & Joachim R. Frick & Jürgen Schupp, 2007. "The German Socio-Economic Panel Study (SOEP): Scope, Evolution and Enhancements," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 1, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- D. Böhning & E. Dietz & P. Schlattmann & L. Mendonça & U. Kirchner, 1999. "The zero-inflated Poisson model and the decayed, missing and filled teeth index in dental epidemiology," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 162(2), pages 195-209.
- Street, Andrew & Jones, Andrew & Furuta, Aya, 1999. "Cost-sharing and pharmaceutical utilisation and expenditure in Russia," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 459-472, August.
- Deb, Partha & Munkin, Murat K. & Trivedi, Pravin K., 2006. "Private Insurance, Selection, and Health Care Use: A Bayesian Analysis of a Roy-Type Model," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 24, pages 403-415, October.
- Pizer, Steven D. & Prentice, Julia C., 2011. "Time is money: Outpatient waiting times and health insurance choices of elderly veterans in the United States," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 626-636, July.
- Andreas Million & Regina T. Riphahn & Achim Wambach, 2003. "Incentive effects in the demand for health care: a bivariate panel count data estimation," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(4), pages 387-405.
- Nazmi Sari, 2009. "Physical inactivity and its impact on healthcare utilization," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(8), pages 885-901.
- Eddelbuettel, Dirk & Francois, Romain, 2011. "Rcpp: Seamless R and C++ Integration," Journal of Statistical Software, Foundation for Open Access Statistics, vol. 40(i08). Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:compst:v:28:y:2013:i:5:p:1947-1964. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.