Semi-parametric quantile estimation for double threshold autoregressive models with heteroskedasticity
Compared to the conditional mean or median, conditional quantiles provide a more comprehensive picture of a variable in various scenarios. A semi-parametric quantile estimation method for a double threshold auto-regression with exogenous regressors and heteroskedasticity is considered, allowing representation of both asymmetry and volatility clustering. As such, GARCH dynamics with nonlinearity are added to a nonlinear time series regression model. An adaptive Bayesian Markov chain Monte Carlo scheme, exploiting the link between the quantile loss function and the asymmetric-Laplace distribution, is employed for estimation and inference, simultaneously estimating and accounting for nonlinear heteroskedasticity plus unknown threshold limits and delay lags. A simulation study illustrates sampling properties of the method. Two data sets are considered in the empirical applications: modelling daily maximum temperatures in Melbourne, Australia; and exploring dynamic linkages between financial markets in the US and Hong Kong. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2013
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 28 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=120306|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chen, Cathy W.S. & Gerlach, Richard & Wei, D.C.M., 2009. "Bayesian causal effects in quantiles: Accounting for heteroscedasticity," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(6), pages 1993-2007, April.
- Koenker, Roger & Xiao, Zhijie, 2006. "Quantile Autoregression," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 101, pages 980-990, September.
- Cathy Chen & Simon Lin & Philip Yu, 2012. "Smooth Transition Quantile Capital Asset Pricing Models with Heteroscedasticity," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 40(1), pages 19-48, June.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Yuzhi Cai, 2010. "Forecasting for quantile self-exciting threshold autoregressive time series models," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 97(1), pages 199-208.
- Hansen, B.E., 1992.
"Autoregressive Conditional Density Estimation,"
RCER Working Papers
322, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Gourieroux, C. & Jasiak, J., 2008.
"Dynamic quantile models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 147(1), pages 198-205, November.
- Engle, Robert F & Manganelli, Simone, 1999.
"CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt06m3d6nv, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Robert F. Engle & Simone Manganelli, 2004. "CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 22, pages 367-381, October.
- Robert Engle & Simone Manganelli, 2000. "CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0841, Econometric Society.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521845731 is not listed on IDEAS
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- Eun, Cheol S. & Shim, Sangdal, 1989. "International Transmission of Stock Market Movements," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(02), pages 241-256, June.
- Karolyi, G Andrew, 1995. "A Multivariate GARCH Model of International Transmissions of Stock Returns and Volatility: The Case of the United States and Canada," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(1), pages 11-25, January.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Antonio F. Galvao Jr. & Gabriel Montes‐Rojas & Jose Olmo, 2011. "Threshold quantile autoregressive models," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(3), pages 253-267, 05.
- Brooks, Chris, 2001. "A Double-Threshold GARCH Model for the French Franc/Deutschmark Exchange Rate," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(2), pages 135-43, March.
- Chen, Cathy W.S. & Gerlach, Richard & So, Mike K.P., 2006. "Comparison of nonnested asymmetric heteroskedastic models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 2164-2178, December.
- Giordani, Paolo & Kohn, Robert & van Dijk, Dick, 2007.
"A unified approach to nonlinearity, structural change, and outliers,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 137(1), pages 112-133, March.
- Giordani, P. & Kohn, R. & van Dijk, D.J.C., 2005. "A unified approach to nonlinearity, structural change and outliers," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2005-09, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Roger Koenker & Zhijie Xiao, 2004. "Unit Root Quantile Autoregression Inference," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 99, pages 775-787, January.
- Zhijie Xiao & Roger Koenker, 2009. "Conditional Quantile Estimation for GARCH Models," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 725, Boston College Department of Economics.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521608275 is not listed on IDEAS
- Koenker, Roger, 2000. "Galton, Edgeworth, Frisch, and prospects for quantile regression in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 95(2), pages 347-374, April.
- Richard H. Gerlach & Cathy W. S. Chen & Nancy Y. C. Chan, 2011.
"Bayesian Time-Varying Quantile Forecasting for Value-at-Risk in Financial Markets,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(4), pages 481-492, October.
- Gerlach, Richard H. & Chen, Cathy W. S. & Chan, Nancy Y. C., 2011. "Bayesian Time-Varying Quantile Forecasting for Value-at-Risk in Financial Markets," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 29(4), pages 481-492.
- Chan, Nancy Y. C. & Chen, Cathy W.S. & Gerlach, Richard, 2009. "Bayesian time-varying quantile forecasting for Value-at-Risk in financial markets," Working Papers 01/2009, University of Sydney Business School, Discipline of Business Analytics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:compst:v:28:y:2013:i:3:p:1103-1131. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.