Density estimation and comparison with a penalized mixture approach
The paper presents smooth estimation of densities utilizing penalized splines. The idea is to represent the unknown density by a convex mixture of basis densities, where the weights are estimated in a penalized form. The proposed method extends the work of Komárek and Lesaffre (Comput Stat Data Anal 52(7):3441–3458, 2008 ) and allows for general density estimation. Simulations show a convincing performance in comparison to existing density estimation routines. The idea is extended to allow the density to depend on some (factorial) covariate. Assuming a binary group indicator, for instance, we can test on equality of the densities in the groups. This provides a smooth alternative to the classical Kolmogorov-Smirnov test or an Analysis of Variance and it shows stable and powerful behaviour. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2012
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 27 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/statistics/journal/180/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Håvard Rue & Sara Martino & Nicolas Chopin, 2009. "Approximate Bayesian inference for latent Gaussian models by using integrated nested Laplace approximations," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 71(2), pages 319-392.
- Gerda Claeskens & Tatyana Krivobokova & Jean D. Opsomer, 2009. "Asymptotic properties of penalized spline estimators," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 96(3), pages 529-544.
- Ruppert,David & Wand,M. P. & Carroll,R. J., 2003. "Semiparametric Regression," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521785167, November.
- Ruppert,David & Wand,M. P. & Carroll,R. J., 2003. "Semiparametric Regression," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521780506, November.
- Ja-Yong Koo, 1999. "Logspline Density Estimation under Censoring and Truncation," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 26(1), pages 87-105.
- Göran Kauermann & Jean D. Opsomer, 2011. "Data-driven selection of the spline dimension in penalized spline regression," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 98(1), pages 225-230.
- Göran Kauermann & Tatyana Krivobokova & Ludwig Fahrmeir, 2009. "Some asymptotic results on generalized penalized spline smoothing," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 71(2), pages 487-503.
- Gilles Celeux & Gilda Soromenho, 1996. "An entropy criterion for assessing the number of clusters in a mixture model," Journal of Classification, The Classification Society, vol. 13(2), pages 195-212, September.
- Philip T. Reiss & R. Todd Ogden, 2009. "Smoothing parameter selection for a class of semiparametric linear models," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 71(2), pages 505-523.
- Komárek, Arnost & Lesaffre, Emmanuel, 2008. "Generalized linear mixed model with a penalized Gaussian mixture as a random effects distribution," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(7), pages 3441-3458, March.
- Simon N. Wood, 2011. "Fast stable restricted maximum likelihood and marginal likelihood estimation of semiparametric generalized linear models," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 73(1), pages 3-36, January.
- Yingxing Li & David Ruppert, 2008. "On the asymptotics of penalized splines," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 95(2), pages 415-436.
- Benaglia, Tatiana & Chauveau, Didier & Hunter, David R. & Young, Derek S., 2009. "mixtools: An R Package for Analyzing Mixture Models," Journal of Statistical Software, Foundation for Open Access Statistics, vol. 32(i06).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:compst:v:27:y:2012:i:4:p:757-777. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.