Estimating value at risk with semiparametric support vector quantile regression
Value at Risk (VaR) has been used as an important tool to measure the market risk under normal market. Usually the VaR of log returns is calculated by assuming a normal distribution. However, log returns are frequently found not normally distributed. This paper proposes the estimation approach of VaR using semiparametric support vector quantile regression (SSVQR) models which are functions of the one-step-ahead volatility forecast and the length of the holding period, and can be used regardless of the distribution. We find that the proposed models perform better overall than the variance-covariance and linear quantile regression approaches for return data on S&P 500, NIKEI 225 and KOSPI 200 indices. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2012
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 27 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=120306|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Paul Glasserman & Philip Heidelberger & Perwez Shahabuddin, 2002. "Portfolio Value-at-Risk with Heavy-Tailed Risk Factors," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 239-269.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Li, Youjuan & Liu, Yufeng & Zhu, Ji, 2007. "Quantile Regression in Reproducing Kernel Hilbert Spaces," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 102, pages 255-268, March.
- Robert F. Engle & Simone Manganelli, 2004.
"CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 22, pages 367-381, October.
- Robert Engle & Simone Manganelli, 2000. "CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0841, Econometric Society.
- Engle, Robert F & Manganelli, Simone, 1999. "CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt06m3d6nv, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Yuan, Ming, 2006. "GACV for quantile smoothing splines," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 813-829, February.
- Shim, Jooyong & Hwang, Changha, 2009. "Support vector censored quantile regression under random censoring," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(4), pages 912-919, February.
- Keith Kuester & Stefan Mittnik & Marc S. Paolella, 2006. "Value-at-Risk Prediction: A Comparison of Alternative Strategies," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 4(1), pages 53-89.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:compst:v:27:y:2012:i:4:p:685-700. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.