Short-term power load probability density forecasting method using kernel-based support vector quantile regression and Copula theory
Penetration of smart grid prominently increases the complexity and uncertainty in scheduling and operation of power systems. Probability density forecasting methods can effectively quantify the uncertainty of power load forecasting. The paper proposes a short-term power load probability density forecasting method using kernel-based support vector quantile regression (KSVQR) and Copula theory. As the kernel function can influence the prediction performance, three kernel functions are compared in this work to select the best one for the learning target. The paper evaluates the accuracy of the prediction intervals considering two criteria, prediction interval coverage probability (PICP) and prediction interval normalized average width (PINAW). Considering uncertainty factors and the correlation of explanatory variables for power load prediction accuracy are of great importance. A probability density forecasting method based on Copula theory is proposed in order to achieve the relational diagram of electrical load and real-time price. The electrical load forecast accuracy of the proposed method is assessed by means of real datasets from Singapore. The simulation results show that the proposed method has great potential for power load forecasting by selecting appropriate kernel function for KSVQR model.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 185 (2017)
Issue (Month): P1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/405891/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/405891/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Niknam, Taher & Azizipanah-Abarghooee, Rasoul & Narimani, Mohammad Rasoul, 2012. "An efficient scenario-based stochastic programming framework for multi-objective optimal micro-grid operation," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 99(C), pages 455-470.
- Wang, J. & Botterud, A. & Bessa, R. & Keko, H. & Carvalho, L. & Issicaba, D. & Sumaili, J. & Miranda, V., 2011. "Wind power forecasting uncertainty and unit commitment," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 88(11), pages 4014-4023.
- Ghofrani, M. & Ghayekhloo, M. & Arabali, A. & Ghayekhloo, A., 2015. "A hybrid short-term load forecasting with a new input selection framework," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 81(C), pages 777-786.
- Chatfield, Chris, 1993. "Calculating Interval Forecasts: Reply," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(2), pages 143-144, April.
- Jain, Rishee K. & Smith, Kevin M. & Culligan, Patricia J. & Taylor, John E., 2014. "Forecasting energy consumption of multi-family residential buildings using support vector regression: Investigating the impact of temporal and spatial monitoring granularity on performance accuracy," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 123(C), pages 168-178.
- Li, Youjuan & Liu, Yufeng & Zhu, Ji, 2007. "Quantile Regression in Reproducing Kernel Hilbert Spaces," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 102, pages 255-268, March.
- Chatfield, Chris, 1993. "Calculating Interval Forecasts," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(2), pages 121-135, April.
- Wang, Jianjun & Li, Li & Niu, Dongxiao & Tan, Zhongfu, 2012. "An annual load forecasting model based on support vector regression with differential evolution algorithm," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 94(C), pages 65-70.
- Koenker,Roger, 2005.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521845731, March.
- Roger Koenker & Kevin F. Hallock, 2001. "Quantile Regression," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(4), pages 143-156, Fall.
- Koenker,Roger, 2005. "Quantile Regression," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521608275, December.
- Masa-Bote, D. & Castillo-Cagigal, M. & Matallanas, E. & Caamaño-Martín, E. & Gutiérrez, A. & Monasterio-Huelín, F. & Jiménez-Leube, J., 2014. "Improving photovoltaics grid integration through short time forecasting and self-consumption," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 125(C), pages 103-113.
- He, Yaoyao & Xu, Qifa & Wan, Jinhong & Yang, Shanlin, 2016. "Short-term power load probability density forecasting based on quantile regression neural network and triangle kernel function," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 114(C), pages 498-512.
- Hagfors, Lars Ivar & Bunn, Derek & Kristoffersen, Eline & Staver, Tiril Toftdahl & Westgaard, Sjur, 2016. "Modeling the UK electricity price distributions using quantile regression," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 102(C), pages 231-243.
- Tan, Zhongfu & Zhang, Jinliang & Wang, Jianhui & Xu, Jun, 2010. "Day-ahead electricity price forecasting using wavelet transform combined with ARIMA and GARCH models," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 87(11), pages 3606-3610, November.
- Lin, Whei-Min & Gow, Hong-Jey & Tsai, Ming-Tang, 2010. "An enhanced radial basis function network for short-term electricity price forecasting," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 87(10), pages 3226-3234, October.
- Jooyong Shim & Yongtae Kim & Jangtaek Lee & Changha Hwang, 2012. "Estimating value at risk with semiparametric support vector quantile regression," Computational Statistics, Springer, vol. 27(4), pages 685-700, December.
- Che, JinXing & Wang, JianZhou, 2014. "Short-term load forecasting using a kernel-based support vector regression combination model," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 132(C), pages 602-609.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Maciejowska, Katarzyna & Nowotarski, Jakub & Weron, Rafał, 2016. "Probabilistic forecasting of electricity spot prices using Factor Quantile Regression Averaging," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 957-965.
- Katarzyna Maciejowska & Jakub Nowotarski & Rafal Weron, 2014. "Probabilistic forecasting of electricity spot prices using Factor Quantile Regression Averaging," HSC Research Reports HSC/14/09, Hugo Steinhaus Center, Wroclaw University of Technology.
- Che, Jinxing & Wang, Jianzhou & Wang, Guangfu, 2012. "An adaptive fuzzy combination model based on self-organizing map and support vector regression for electric load forecasting," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 657-664.
- Xiao, Liye & Wang, Jianzhou & Hou, Ru & Wu, Jie, 2015. "A combined model based on data pre-analysis and weight coefficients optimization for electrical load forecasting," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 82(C), pages 524-549.
- Bahrami, Saadat & Hooshmand, Rahmat-Allah & Parastegari, Moein, 2014. "Short term electric load forecasting by wavelet transform and grey model improved by PSO (particle swarm optimization) algorithm," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 72(C), pages 434-442.
- Chen, Kuilin & Yu, Jie, 2014. "Short-term wind speed prediction using an unscented Kalman filter based state-space support vector regression approach," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 113(C), pages 690-705.
- Wu, Shaomin & Akbarov, Artur, 2011. "Support vector regression for warranty claim forecasting," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 213(1), pages 196-204, August.
- Khosravi, Abbas & Nahavandi, Saeid & Creighton, Doug, 2013. "Quantifying uncertainties of neural network-based electricity price forecasts," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 112(C), pages 120-129.
- Jing Wang, 2012. "Bayesian quantile regression for parametric nonlinear mixed effects models," Statistical Methods & Applications, Springer;Società Italiana di Statistica, vol. 21(3), pages 279-295, August.
- Liu, Nian & Tang, Qingfeng & Zhang, Jianhua & Fan, Wei & Liu, Jie, 2014. "A hybrid forecasting model with parameter optimization for short-term load forecasting of micro-grids," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 129(C), pages 336-345. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:appene:v:185:y:2017:i:p1:p:254-266. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.